Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suddenly VERY slow PC. 100% CPU. Advice?  (Read 2517 times)

Anthony_Pierz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Suddenly VERY slow PC. 100% CPU. Advice?
    « on: July 24, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
    So, I'm just having a normal day of using my PC. Its running very well, everything is nearly instant, games run smoothly, everything is picture perfect, nothing weird.

I wake up the next day, turn on my computer, only to notice that it is taking an extremely long time to load. Over 15 minutes, in fact. After it signs in, it takes another 5 minutes for everything else to load up. Chrome takes forever to load a page, all apps stop responding for the first couple minutes of opening it, my games that i play randomly freeze for about 5 seconds every few minutes, it's just horrible. I mean... Microsoft Windows stops responding... how does that even happen?? As I said, was working fine one day.. the next, unusable.

I did some research (Not too much as I didn't know where to look. I'm experienced with computers, but not experienced with the inside of one lol) I seen one suggestion that came up in multiple places. Something about my HDD needing to be replaced? I don't know anything about what's inside my computer, other than the graphics card which i installed myself. Anyways, the suggestions said that the HDD may have died or something due to old age, and also suggested to get an SDD instead.

So my question is, do you have any ideas why this could be happening? Do you think the suggestion I said above could be the issue? If so, what type of HDD or SDD should I get? Are there only certain kinds that are compatible with my type of motherboard or will any work? Oh, I should also note that I did a complete factory reset on my computer and that did not do anything. So I guess that means it has to be somewhere in the hardware. But I don't know. And I also notice that in task manager, sometimes my CPU is at 100% and nothing works. Nothing can open or be clicked or anything, but it drops back down after a few minutes and my computer can at least run things. Just... still slowly.

I have a text file saved from Speccy so you can see all my computer specs and hardware. Is there anything else I should do or download which would help you find the issue to my problem? I can do whatever it is that will help me help you get this fixed.

Thanks so much in advance for any help. I really would like to use my computer but its a bit impossible with how slow it is.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Suddenly VERY slow PC. 100% CPU. Advice?
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 03:42:25 PM »
    Assuming that you have an antivirus and it has come up clean with no problems after a full scan..

One thing to try is disabling Windows 10 Fast Boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

I have had before where somehow the last session gets corrupted in a way that the next boot causes the system to act slow and troublesome. Disabling this fixed my issue. And I was then able to reactivate this so that the fast boot could be used for a faster boot with now a clean session.

Under task manager when you look at the uptime it might tell you that your computer has been running for like 18 hours yet it has only been running for the last 15 minutes. This is because on shutdown with the Fast Boot enabled it writes the session data from RAM to Hard Drive or SSD so that the next boot of Windows it basically dumps all that data back to RAM from hard drive or SSD and causes it to be up and running faster. *However if there is a problem in creating this dump file or the last session ran into an issue, then it will inherit that issue into the next boot of the system and that is where this feature is problematic.

I saw you have 8GB RAM so no issues there. I have seen systems with just 4GB RAM have issues with yet another service called superfetch where Windows 10 uses all system RAM to store frequently used information and services, so looking at system resources it shows most of your RAM consumed. Windows is suppose to dump the data from this speed cache when RAM is needed, but I have seen where a computer will just slow way down and hard drive LED lit just about constant as this goes overboard with information being written to and from RAM to HDD or RAM to SSD. And disabling that superfetch service helps.

Here is how to disable superfetch to see if this will help:

https://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch