Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I or how can I use e-money?  (Read 7325 times)

yulan

Can I or how can I use e-money?
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:33:03 PM »
You can imagine I just wake up from a curse more than 20 years ago, that I skipped the technology or money system nowadays. The point is that, I don't have or don't want to apply or use credit card anymore, actually I don't like bank service or human service boring story better not to tell. I don't know what is PayPal or similar things but I'm guessing they all must tie with credit card. There are internet downloaded software I like to pay for the license but so sorry, it's not that I don't like to, I find them very useful and I really want to pay them. And, here is my recent encounter: I'm learning Android development, I mean software development, and in the future when I need or want to summit my product to Play |>Shop, I need to first pay the one time "Developer Registration Fee" at US$25.00 you can take a look at https://play.google.com/apps/publish/signup/

There, the main phase is credit card and only that, but when I click continue at the lower-right corner, it then says credit card or debit card, my most concern will be that, is debit card means the "ATM card" that the bank will give you anyway when starting an account? Will that work? I don't like going to a bank but I think I have to give it a try anyway. I asked the teacher and he said there're things like Google prepaid cards, but I don't think that's a legal answer since no other options except credit card or debit card, mainly credit card.

Perhaps it's time for me to step into the field of internet money, but what can I do? I can buy a PSN prepaid card, Xbox gift card, Nintendo prepaid card, Google play shop card(?) I'm really confused or unclear what then I can do, can I transfer the Google prepaid card into things like PayPal, or buy games on Steam? Never used Steam anyway, yet, but looks like everyone is talking about Steam in the game industry.

There is a thing Kickstarter, can I back a game for example, to be a backer, with the money/balance in PSN or Xbox live account? I guess the answer is no :(

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can I or how can I use e-money?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:37:42 PM »
You might be able to use a prepaid debt card that you add cash to. I have a Netspend Debt Card for example that I can add money to and its in my name so it looks and acts just like a regular credit card with Mastercard as the type and I am able to add money to it via a cash transaction at a store.

It might be worth getting one of these and adding $25 to it and seeing if this works.

I have used this mainly for when making a purchase that requires a credit card, but by which I want to not use my main credit card to make a purchase online, so that if someone got a hold of the account number and expiration date and code on the back of the card, they can only take what has been prepaid to the account and nothing more. I currently have a $0.00 balance on my card because I spent what I added to it. I only add money to this account when I need to make an online transaction that I dont completely trust the website to not steal my account number and run with it.

The only issue I ran into with this Netspend Card was that it cant be used to buy other forms of money online. Such as you cant use it to buy virtual currency as for they dont want the service used for money laundering. I wasnt doing anything illegal but I wanted to buy a virtual currency called Linden and it was not allowed because a virtual currency like Linden could be used for laundering between anonymous accounts.

That being said this card has a requirement that you prove your identity though as a means to also thwart people from using it for illegal money transactions: Card usage is subject to card activation and identity verification

https://www.netspend.com/

yulan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »
Thank you, I have a better understanding now, unfortunately, netspend.com likely ban my region, browser show up this error:

This site can’t be reached
www.netspend.com took too long to respond.
Try:
- Checking the connection
- Checking the proxy and the firewall
- Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

But I have a better understand to debit card, or the same meaning to debt card, maybe I should ask for a debit card application and see if there is any in any banks, I never heard of such a thing myself. Just discover there is Steam prepaid card, so it acts like PSN or Xbox store, while a computer is more expensive than a console, 3 or 4 times up, likely more games are on Steam.

I really should look into debt card first

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 02:57:02 PM »
A Steam pre-paid card is only good for steam....hope you know that.
You ain't gonna buy groceries with it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

yulan

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
A Steam pre-paid card is only good for steam....hope you know that.
You ain't gonna buy groceries with it...
Well thanks for your reminder