Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network ID <> SSID  (Read 6887 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Network ID <> SSID
« on: July 27, 2019, 04:48:53 PM »
So I had a network - "RJB Net".

I added a new router and named the new network "RJB Net".

The SSID is "RJB Net" and in netsh wlan show profiles it shows as "RJB Net".

But when I hover my mouse over the system tray, it shows as "RJB Net 2".

How to fix?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Network ID <> SSID
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »
In Network Connections under Control Panel you will see the adapter(s) and if you right-click over the name you can select to rename from the menu to RJB Net

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 02:51:56 AM »
Thanks Dave. I'd tried that - it  only lets me rename the "Wi-Fi" line.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 01:32:33 PM »
Thats odd as for it should give you access to all network adapters to rename... is this a decommissioned computer from a business that has some sort of group policy control still active on it locking out edits of network adapter name?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
That's an oddly specific question! But, no, it's my personal PC. Traveling now, so wont be back on home network till Friday, so will post screenshots then.

Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »
Have a safe trip and looking forward to screenshot of it locked out from edit.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 05:40:38 PM »
OK I'm finally getting back around to this. Here's a screenshot of how the network name doesn't seem to match the SSID. Also a video fo me attempting to rename it... It only allows me to rename "Wi-Fi", but not what I consider the network name.

Link to Video ('Eat Your Heart Out, McQuarrie!')

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 09:30:24 PM »
You  need to learn more about the WI-Fi wireless stuff.
Here are a few:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001410.htm

https://www.lifewire.com/wi-fi-tutorial-how-to-connect-to-a-wireless-network-2378222

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm

https://www.metageek.com/training/

To answer your question, only the owner or administrator of the station  shall change the name.  If users cold alter the SSID it would be total  bedlam.  ::)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »
Personal PC. Home network. So I can change any SSID I want.

The issue isnt renaming the network. The issue is that the name in the system tray doesn't match the name of the network. It's not a functional thing, its aesthetic.

Obviously I need to learn or I wouldn't ask the question.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:32:19 PM by rjbinney »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 05:42:25 AM »
OK. The SSID is hot normally part of your PC. Except  in the case where that is want your really want to do.**  Normally SSID is the station ID of a device that gives you a wireless connection into a network.

Without knowing what kind of thing your have, I can only guess. My guess is staht you have a wireless router and the dealt name for  the wireless  thing is inside the router, not inside your PC. To change it you have to log into the router control panel.

You cm use the  the ipconfig command.
It will show the address given to your PC,headdress the gateway and the DNS things.

If your gateway is 192.168.0.1 you  that to log into the control panel of the router.
You will need to know the user and password forte gateway. Often it is h admin  for both. Or admin and password.

Somewhere there is a place to change the SSID of the wireless  router. You can use any name you like. I like to call mine 'FBI-Monitor' to spoof my neighbors.

You need to see the documentation specific to the brand & model of router.  :)
Does this help any?

** In Windows 10 you can reverse a wireless thing so that it becomes AP  instead of a client. That is a special case that most users have no reason to make use of. The AP notionally is a device that offers sentry into the Internet or other network system. It is the Access Point. But normally your PC is a client.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 06:25:53 AM »
The name with the number is not the SSID. It is the name of the profile.

The profiles are listed in the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

A second profile was created and since the names must be unique, it added "2" to the end. You'd want to look through each of the keys (which are CLSIDs) and find the one with the "2" in the ProfileName, edit the registry value to remove the 2, then delete the registry key for the original that doesn't have a "2" if you can find it in any of the other profiles.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 08:23:43 AM »
Thanks, BC. Note I never said I wanted to change the name of the SSID, just that my PC's profile name didnt match. (I.e., read the name if the thread).

I am away from my PC, but that registry key is exactly what I need. Thank you!

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »
Oddly enough, it wouldn't let me edit. So I just deleted both of them and let it rip.

Had over two dozen "American Airlines" profiles stored there - probably one for every time I've signed on since I reformatted my HD!