Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 update killed my backups & changed my settings.  (Read 4668 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Windows 10 update killed my backups & changed my settings.
    « on: July 28, 2019, 02:25:37 AM »
    Well this sucks. Windows did an update last night & stole my restore settings, also changing the background colours on file explorer.

Now that I have no restore options, can anyone tell me how I might be able to bring this lot back to the way I had it?

This laptop has windows 10 home, intel core i5-6200u cpu @ 230GHz.

Thank you ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows 10 update killed my backups & changed my settings.
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
    changing the background colours on file explorer.

did your file explorer become black? if so, might be just some app color setting that has been changed. see following link for what i'm referring to --> https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-dark-mode-file-explorer-on-windows-10/

if that's not the case, then you'll need to describe more or provide some screenshot about what you're seeing.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 12:41:42 AM »
      Thanks for the reply 2x3i5x.

Yes file Explorer came back ok however the log on screen has now become just a pure blur of the start screen ( the same photo for both ) and file explorer is now a black background.

A bit of resetting has cured the colour from black to an acceptable white.

did your file explorer become black? if so, might be just some app color setting that has been changed. see following link for what i'm referring to --> https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-dark-mode-file-explorer-on-windows-10/

Yes 2x3i5x, that reference seems exactly what I am referring to. Thanks.

My main issue is that I lost all the restore settings I had & the blurry log on screen is a bit confusing. Could that be the transparency setting causing the blurriness?

I guess gone is gone for the restore settings then at that level. So I made a new restore settings file after running a couple of malware programs. Superdave level clean... or close to it???

The blurry screen is more than windows aire, blurry & the display settings are not able to adjust it out from what I have tried.

If someone could offer any suggestions to get rid of the blurriness I would welcome the feedback.

Thanks ImnoGuru.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 06:30:50 PM »
      the blurry log on screen is a bit confusing. Could that be the transparency setting causing the blurriness?

By blurry screen, you mean you see something like this (where the wallpaper on the login screen gets blurry) when you try to login?

If so, then that was Microsoft intentionally trying to use their 'fluent' or aka the transparency look over there and yes it came with the recent May 2019 update of win 10. and the transparency settings are in play.

If you need help or just need a verification of how to do things, the instructions (from either of the two following links) should be all you need to disable that blurry if you wish to do so, don't worry if it says insider previews, it's official now.
      https://winaero.com/blog/disable-blur-sign-in-screen-windows-10/
      https://www.howtogeek.com/426554/how-to-disable-the-login-screens-background-blur-on-windows-10/

By the way, if you're happy with your computer as is you might consider to create either a restore point OR make an image that you can restore from.

Hope that helps. Sorry I don't know about the restore settings being lost, so not sure I can help you there though. Good luck.
      « Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:56:23 PM by 2x3i5x »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
      Major Windows upgrades remove System Restore Points, and System Restore is not a backup.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 05:03:30 AM »
        Yes 2x3i5x & BC_Programmer, that is exactly what I have experienced & thank you both for your input. :)

I can see a new wave of my friends asking me just exactly the same questions, showing equally as much confusion.  ( Have I been out of the loop so long that I dont know these things anymore.)

BC_Programmer has the knowledge of the disappearing restore points. So indeed 2x3i5x, I have already made a new set of restore points & am happy with the equipment ( well as happy as one can be given different variables.)

I do make the occasional "Backup" to an external drive BC_Programmer & 2x3i5x, however I just wonder these days how relevant these are now. Usually once a year...ish on a 2 TB, might be room for just one more.  Maybe I should format that drive & start again.

2x3i5x, I'll go through the links you supplied & make sure I can reset the laptop to something I am used to or am happy to use.

Many thanks. ImnoGuru. ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 03:12:43 PM »
        IMO Backups should only be data you cannot replace. Windows and programs can always be re-installed. your Essay, Thesis, Great American novel, Photoshop work, etc. cannot.

Imaging the boot drive makes sense for quick recovery, but due to storage constraints usually makes less sense with larger drives as you've mentioned.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 05:11:59 PM »
        I image twice a month...but however i only keep the last 3 images ...and delete the priors as i go...therefore you should never run out of disk space on the external....Just sayin.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 07:36:49 PM »
        For what it is worth... External backup terabyte hard drives are w cheaper than ever.
        Best Buy has a Western digital  unit the is under $50. So there is hardly an reason not to have a backup. It is a very low-cost insurance to save  your data.
        Amazon also has similar devices a higher prices. And so does New egg.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 07:22:33 PM »
          Thats right Geek-9pm & patio, technology advancements & miniaturization of components makes the devices so much cheaper than when they were first introduced.

As for keeping too many backups, I agree you only need to grandfather, father & son copy, beyond that is just taking up space.

Thanks to the advice from my friends @  computerhope my difficulty & frustration has been resolved.  ;D ;D

Enjoy your weekend

ImnoGuru. :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »
          Do the same...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "