Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cannot open links on web sites  (Read 6802 times)

Pegi

cannot open links on web sites
« on: January 16, 2006, 02:04:58 PM »
I have a new Dell that came with, what I assume is, the latest version of Internet Explorer. Often, but not always, when I go to web sites, I cannot open links within the sites. Sometimes when this happens, I can right-click and open a link with the "Open" or "Open in new window" command, but at other times I'm not even given that option (those commands are greyed-out). Often it seems I can open the first link I try on a particular web site but then none after that.  I am running Windows XP and have DSL.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: cannot open links on web sites
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 11:17:37 AM »
Pegi,

Very strange issue you've got going on here. I've never heard of anything like this and was unable to find anything about this type of issue occurring. My only suggestion would be to go through all the basic troubleshooting steps for Microsoft Internet Explorer. You can find a listing of these on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chie.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 11:27:20 AM »
Pegi, can you post the details for one or more of those websites?   Web address for the main page and for links on the page that you cannot open.

Pegi

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:36:40 AM »
Okay, here's a good example of a link I can't open. I go to the site below to renew my library books. On the left-hand side of the home page is a list of links. I can open all of them by right-clicking except "Your account." In order to open that one, I have to left-click and then choose either "open" or "open in a new window."

http://www.amespubliclibrary.org/

Pegi

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 11:37:43 AM »
I'm sorry, I said that backwards. I can open them all except one by left-clicking. "Your account" I have to open by right-clicking.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:48:30 PM »
I see the library site uses different techiques for different pages.  The site uses "frames".  The panel on the left side is a frame and the wider panel on the right site is a frame where most of the links listed in the left panel display.  I noticed two exceptions, upon briefly looking at the site.  The link for Find-It-Yourself opens a page with no frames, within the same browser window.  And, the Your Account link opens a separate browser window.  I can open Your Account by a normal left click, or right clicking and selecting Open or Open in New Window.  

I believe that's the way it's supposed to work.  I don't know why the link for Your Account will not open for you by just left clicking on it.  I think I would ask someone at the library about this.  They may have an answer as to why.  And, I'd check the Basic Microsoft Internet Explorer troubleshooting page posted by one of the moderators, although I don't see anything there that looks like a fix, at least for what you're experiencing with the library site.

The case of the library site seems like a minor problem.  I'm wondering what sites you've found with more imposing limitations, such as the where "Open" or "Open in new window" command are greyed-out.

Fed

• Sage
    « Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 12:53:08 PM »
    1. Start
    2. Settings
    3. Control Panel
    4. Internet Options
    5. Security tab
    6. Reset all 4 security zones to Default

1. Start
    2. Settings
    3. Control Panel
    4. Internet Options
    5. Privacy
    [highlight]6. Advanced[/highlight]
    7. Restore 1 Default button

1. Start
    2. Settings
    3. Control Panel
    4. Internet Options
    5. Advanced
    6. Restore 1 Default button

You may need to do the following as well

1. Start
    2. Settings
    3. Control Panel
    4. Internet Options
    5. General tab
    6. Remove cookies, temporary files and history

Kudos to Raptor.
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 12:46:26 PM by Fed »

Pegi

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 10:47:53 AM »
    I did what raptor recommended, at least I tried to. I wasn't always given the choices he said to choose. I went to the 4 security zones and set all for default. Then I clicked "apply." In Privacy, Advanced, I unchecked Override automatic cookies handling; that was my only option, but perhaps I wasn't supposed to do this? In Internet Options, I clicked on "restore defaults." In General, I deleted cookies, temp files, and history. I then restarted my computer and went to a site where I wanted to see a knit top in a black and grey, but the link wouldn't work and when I right-clicked, the "open" and "open link in new window" were greyed out. Here is the URL for that page:

http://www.onehanesplace.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prnbr=19079&catname=7310000000

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 11:59:56 AM »
    Are you referring to the rectangular image below the picture of the model wearing a blue top?  That is not a hyperlink.  It's just an image telling you that the item is available in black/grey heather.  To select that color, you need to click on the arrow in the box showing "Select Color".  

Pegi

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 12:21:03 PM »
    Okay, bad choice. Here's Dell's site. I cannot access Live Chat by left-clicking. When I right-click on "open," nothing happens. When I right-click on "open in new window," I get a message that the page cannot be displayed.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/chat?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Pegi

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 12:26:20 PM »
    The same with this address:

http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/product/product.asp?pf_id=74445&dept_id=&prod_cross_sell_token=1&

I cannot access the size charts, alternate images, or fashion gallery.

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 12:47:38 PM »
      There was a mistake in the suggested settings above, scroll back & you will see it.

Pegi

Re: cannot open links on web sites--solved?
      « Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
      I think the problem is solved. Under Internet Options, Privacy, I had the "Block most pop-up ads" box checked. I unchecked it and am now able to access the Dell Chat as well as the subcategories on the Chadwick's page. I can even access "Your Account" on my library's page. I hope that this won't cause me to be inundated by unsolicited pop-ups...

Thanks for everyone's help. You people are great!

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 12:08:06 AM »
      I think the problem is solved. Under Internet Options, Privacy, I had the "Block most pop-up ads" box checked. I unchecked it and am now able to access the Dell Chat as well as the subcategories on the Chadwick's page. I can even access "Your Account" on my library's page. I hope that this won't cause me to be inundated by unsolicited pop-ups...

Thanks for everyone's help. You people are great!

Did you shut it off or back it down to Medium?
       Fordtruckmaniac

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 07:56:14 AM »

Did you shut it off or back it down to Medium?
      Good point.  Turning it off completely is not a good idea.