Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can someone track if I am using a macro on my OWN computer, on their website?  (Read 5329 times)

yoquickquestion

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello, thank you in advance anyone who answers :) :)

I have a Windows 10 Toshiba Laptop, but this is not repair or error related. Question is: Can someone know/track whether or not I am using a macro on my OWN computer, on their website? The macro is called the Automatic Mouse and Keyboard, by Robosoft, version 5.3.2.6, it is one of the more popular mouse and keyboard programs available. I do not intend to use the macro for any illegal purposes, but rather to fulfill the function that my fingers normally would on the website {which is a trading exchange platform, in website form}, during irregular hours. The macro is installed on the HARD DRIVE, it is not part of a intra network, such as in the case of a video game platform, connected network, etc. It is just on the hard drive. with that in mind, the question is, can someone DETECT that I am using a macro to place orders in place of my fingers? Please note, the entries will look human at normal glance, they will not have rapid or mechanically precise timings which might expose the use of a program. P.S. there is no spyware or connection between them and my computer as such, they just operate the website. And, again, the activity of the macro will not have suspiciously mechanical timing/placement of buttons pressed, etc. I ask this because I fear trading strategies may be captured by someone else {thus giving up liquidity}. Automated trading is not a violation of their terms of service, or anything like that. The question is NOT about liquidity or what they might do, just WHETHER OR NOT they can detect that I am using a macro. Thank you very much.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    I use macros a lot for automation and your statement of:

they will not have rapid or mechanically precise timings which might expose the use of a program.

Would make it hard to determine if its a human or a macro that is automating the process.

Biggest thing to do would be to contact the site and see if this is against their rules/regulations. If they say no problem go at it then no worries.

yoquickquestion

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Ah, thank you kindly for your response :)

What I am wondering is if there is software that can detect use of macro which actually DIRECTLY detects macro use, software says "there IS the presence of a macro being used on the website on another computer," rather than the indirect method, which is to extrapolate pieces of information like mechanically precise entries, etc.

Is there a way to directly detect a macro on another computer {they detecting it on their website, with me using a macro from my hard drive} the same way that, say for example, we can directly detect diseases in our body?

Or is their only option to use indirect methods such as detecting mechanically precise entries, rapid/unnatural entries, etc.?

Automated trading is allowed, but frowned upon. Its complicated, but if the above is answered then I will know what is safe or unsafe.

Thank you in advance, although I think you already answered that part in the previous post, I just wanted to validate if I am correct in assuming that.

Thank you again 

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      If there is software that is installed on your computer that interfaces with their website then the answer is yes, that they can detect a macro by sniffing your systems memory. Many video games have memory sniffers and ban players who use bots and other automation to give them an unfair advantage over other players who play without them.

If your only going to a website, and they dont have any client or session software installed on your local computer, I am not sure how a macro would be detected on your system as for code that could sniff your systems memory for a macro running could also be used as a keylogger that runs in background when visiting a website and I am pretty sure that this cant be web scripted alone to accomplish this due to security settings in browsers to prevent script types that can maliciously target a system.

But I am not a professional programmer, and I only program on the side as a hobby and to solve my own script needs and needs at work etc, and I have run into security blats and barriers when trying to run code that gets too personal with the local computers information as there are limitations on what code can do within a browser, that is unless the user allows something to run that pops up as a potential security vulnerability that is trusted because you coded it yourself etc.

As long as keystrokes are not rapid and not to an exact timing that repeats and there is different delays in actions that seem human, i am at a loss as to how a website could detect a presence of a macro on your local machine unless there is software that interfaces with that site which has the memory sniffing ability.

Not sure what you refer to as safe and unsafe in the statement below:
      Automated trading is allowed, but frowned upon. Its complicated, but if the above is answered then I will know what is safe or unsafe.

If its allowed then to me they wouldn't have a detection system in place to tell you to stop using it.  :-\