Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Connect to specific web site on any device connected to my router  (Read 10590 times)

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hello,

I have not been able to connect to a specific web site, "Apollo Lunar Surface Joural" from any device connected to my wifi router for a few days now.  I was connected up to it a few days ago on my desktop and all of the sudden when I clicked on a link on that page I received a can't access the web page message.  Ever since that time I have not been able to connect up on any device connected to my wifi router.

Things I have tried:

I tried accessing the web page on various devices both hard wired and via wifi that are connected to my router with no luck.
    I tried turning off the wifi on my phone and I was able to access the web page, then I turned the wifi back on and I could not access it.
    I successfully accessed the website from my work computer.
    I did a ipconfig/dnsflush on my desktop computer and that did not fix the issue.
    I changed the DNS settings on my desktop computer to the OpenDNS settings and that did not fix the issue.
    I tired resetting by turning off both my cable "router" and my wifi router and letting sit for awhile before turning back on and that did not fix the issue.

Any suggestions on what to do to fix this issue?  I've thought about chaning the DNS settings on my router to the OpenDNS settings.  But a bit hesitant about trying that because not sure what affect that might have on anything else connected up to my wifi router (I have ALOT of stuff connected to my wifi router).  Also if it did not help by changing the settings on my computer, would it possibly help if I changed it on my wifi router?

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Can't Connect to specific web site on any device connected to my router
      « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 04:56:08 AM »
      One additional item is that I can access an archived version of the web site via the wayback machine website.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 05:05:56 PM »
      If all websites work with exception to the 1 site. I'd go use another internet source and see if you can still get to it as for maybe the website no longer has it at that location.

If your able to connect to it from say Mc Donalds free open wifi but not able to from home then I would set your router back to factory by use of the push button and reconfigure it all fresh to see if that helps fix this.

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 05:11:36 AM »
        Thanks DaveLembke,

I did already use another internet source via my work place computer and also by my smart phone's by turning off the wifi and using the cellular data service.

I also contacted my ISP to see if they were somehow blocking the website, but they say it's likely my router and they can connect to the website from their end.  Looks like resetting the router to factory default is the next step (I was hoping to avoid something that drastic).

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
        If you have access to looking at how your router is currently set up you can take screen shots of all the settings if its highly configured and not just a default factory config with a different password. If you never had to configure it before though you wouldnt now other than a password change for admin of the router and wifi though.

I have had routers that were set up with all sorts of rules and forwarding etc and took screenshots when everything was configured properly so that the next time I need to factory reset the router, i could quickly look back at screenshots of the router config and get it back to how I had it.

One thing you might want to check into though is if the router has the latest firmware installed as for there are sometimes bug/security fixes for them and flashing a router with a newer firmware is usually very easy after first confirming that your router matches up to that firmware update. Some routers are by model and some are model and revision where a router with rev 3 cant take a rev 4 flash because they switched microprocessors through the production for example and instruction sets for a later processor isnt supported by earlier model processor etc as a general example of differences that can exist for a product line as one component that is critical and specific is too costly and engineering replaces it with a different cost efficient part that is specifically different than the original. Other changes can be like more memory added because say 32MB they realized was too small to implement a necessary change to the products firmware and so they might increase it to 64MB, so that flash that would fit a 64MB model of a newer revision wont fit on the older revision that has less memory.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
        Wait.   ???
        Why did not the topic starter, Tthammondwis, name the web site?
         "Apollo Lunar Surface Journal"
        Brings up at least five web sites that look like that.
        Like this:
        https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap11fj/index.html
        Or this:
        https://history.nasa.gov/frame.html

Please explain.

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »
          Not sure what you want me to explain???

The link I was referring to is:

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/

However I can't connect up to either of the links you posted also.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »
          Here I have not problem with:
          https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/

So maybe there is a firewall someplace that blocks that and related sites.
          Where do yu live?
          Who is you Internet service provider?
          Have you asked your service provider?

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »
            I live in Wisconsin and my ISP is through Spectrum cable.  I did ask my service provider about this and they said they can access the site from their location so they think my router is the problem.

I recently tried setting my router to goggle DNS and that did not work.

A firewall may be the issue, but it would have to be at the router or upstream from that (cable modem?).  Because all devices that are connected to my router both hardwired and wireless are similarly affected.

So I looked up the manual for my router and here is what is listed relating to firewalls;

There is a SPI (stateful packet inspection) firewall which is set to prevent cyber attacks and validates traffic passing through the router.  It is set to on by default and is recommended to leave it on.

There is also a DoS (denial of Service) Protection setting and will be triggered when the number of packets exceeds the set level.  I will check this setting on my router.  Maybe somehow that protection got triggered on that site and thus the router is blocking it now?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 01:47:03 PM »
            thammondwis.
            Good work. 
             Now let us know the name and model of the router. And if you have a link to the PDF of the manual, please give it so others can follow along.  :D

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 05:36:59 AM »
              My router is TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900

A link to the manual:

https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201802/20180224/1910012337_Archer%20C9_V5_UG.pdf

I checked and the parental controls and access controls are disabled on the router

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 10:31:18 AM »
              The link does not work for me. Denied.
              Is this  it?
              https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/C1BY5pXTUbS.pdf

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
                yes that is the correct manual

thammondwis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 07:49:10 AM »
                  I tried connecting my laptop directly up to my modem and I can access the web site that way.  So based on all the testing I have done as I have detailed here in this thread, it appears as though my router is blocking access to this web site.  I just can't figure out why or how?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 09:47:45 PM »
                  Look for parental controls.
                  Some place in tghe router is a liost of forbidden websites.