Microsoft > Windows 10 and 11

Windows 10 - Installation Question - ISO calls for Updates on Build?

(1/1)

DaveLembke:
So my wifes computer crashed as a result of my daughter accidentally unplugging the power cord out the back of it. When I went to perform repair it stated that it cant be repaired. So I popped in the Windows 10 DVD that has a build date of May 2019. During the installation process wiping out the SSD clean and installing Windows 10 clean to it one of the steps it goes through stated update. Wish I got a picture of it to share here, but my question is, does Windows 10 upon install run out to Microsoft to get the latest update to install from upon clean install with an internet connection present before the OS is completely installed to system?

Sadly the system needs more than just a clean install to the SSD as for it black screened on me through the install process and became unresponsive, so when I get home from work tonight I will be digging into why its doing that.

That could be SSD, RAM, or Power Supply I'm thinking. The SSD when I deleted the partitions and then went to create a new partition it gave me an error, yet telling Windows 10 to install to it without creating a new partition it appeared that Windows 10 was installing to it because it was showing the percentages for each step of the process. I then walked away to get ready for work and when I came back to check on it it was black screen and no keyboard activity since caps and num lock wouldn't work.

First thing I am going to do is remove the Corsair Force F40 (40GB) SSD and see if its health is bad by use of my healthy computer and a SATA to USB Dock. The good thing is her games and personal data I had her saving to the 320GB HDD, so if the SSD is junk it wont be a big loss and it ran a long life of many hours of use. I have a stack of laptop hard drives that are good used drives and so worst case scenario is add one of those to her system and build Windows 10 to that to be back up and running and then order her like a low cost but quality brand 128GB or 256GB SSD if she wants the fast boot. For the fact that her computer runs 24/7/365 she doesn't really benefit from the fast boot of a SSD and a HDD might be fine, BUT the swap space on a SSD does make a performance difference so we will see.

DaveLembke:
Update to this is that the Rosewill power supply was the issue with  black screen the SSD tested out fine. Rebuilt the system fresh to the Corsair Force F40 SSD and nice and fast.

I supplied a picture from my phone of the computer monitor for updates listed in the install process 2nd to bottom. Guessing that during the install it runs to Microsoft to get all updates so upon install its all up to date vs having to update/patch after install?

Salmon Trout:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version