Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop upgrade help  (Read 2349 times)

Upgradeneophyte

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop upgrade help
    « on: August 19, 2019, 06:23:47 AM »
    So i bought a dell inspiron n4050 in 2011 (i think, its been a while). Recently the hard drive died, other than that i have been perfectly happy with it. Anyways this strikes me as a perfect oportunity to upgrade it. But i need some information that i have been finding hard to find. I need to onow 3 things.

1. Is there a limit to the size an ssd can be for a particular machine?
    2. The laptop has a removable cpu, is the only thing limiting what cpu i can put in there the socket it has? Or are there some other limitimg factors, like cpu generation or mother board or something that i have no idea about? The socket is a PGA988
    3. What determines the ram limit? I have readt that the OS limits the ram, are there other factors as well?

I am confidant i can do the actual upgrades myself, i just dont want to be buying equipment i cant use.

Any help would be appreciated

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Laptop upgrade help
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
    The Dell site can tell you exactly which CPU's it supports...and also what type and maxx quantity of the RAM.

SSD shouldn't be a limitation.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

Re: Laptop upgrade help
    « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »
    Personally I would not go crazy updating a 2011 laptop. I would certainly get an SSD, as this will give you the most bangs per buck. You will definitely notice an improvement in start up time and general responsiveness. I did this to a 2009 Dell Latitude and it got a whole lot more snappy. if you do much more than this, you will be spending more than the machine is now worth. At least you can use an SSD in another machine later.