Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Would a Dial-Up mosem work through a GSM PBX?  (Read 2330 times)

xyz378537

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
    Would a Dial-Up mosem work through a GSM PBX?
    « on: August 16, 2019, 05:46:17 AM »
    I recently tried to set up a Dial-Up server for my vintage computers and after reading some more about it, I decided to buy myself a cheap PBX from China. I managed to find two versions of the PBX in question. One that supports GSM, and the other one, which doesn't. My quesion is: If I plug in the Dial-Up server to one of the ports on the PBX, would I be able to access it from outside, via GSM?
    Thanks in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Would a Dial-Up mosem work through a GSM PBX?
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »
    Not to side track what you have planned, but curious if the games support serial connections between systems via null cable and if your plans are just to have 2 computers connect for older gaming that doesnt support natively connecting over TCP/IP.

My thought on this is if you want to have computers connected together with older communication protocols you might be able to use serial over ethernet adapters and rules in routers to allow two computers to connect via serial communications from vast distances. However this would only work for games that are 1 on 1.

Some older dial up games are connected to a server owned or leased by the developers of which that server was connected to a backend that allowed many dial-up connections to it, so that the game environment can have thousands of players playing on it. If you plan on having more than 2 computers connected then you would have to go the direction that your going I believe to achieve the goal of multiple systems connected. However while I have worked with serial over ethernet adapters to say that they usually work just fine as long as you dont have bad latency, I dont have the info on your original question to assist, but maybe someone else here has that knowledge to share and help.

xyz378537

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
      Thanks for your answer, but I didn't plan on using my setup for gaming. I wanted to connect multiple terminals to  my network. For now I'm trying to connect them to my server(one at a time). Though, when I manage to set the server up, I might use it for gaming later.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
      Cool. Curious what your working with for Vintage Hardware and OS?

Is it like a DEC Alpha or something else cool like that?

Sorry for assuming gaming, but most people who want multiple connections with dial-up that I have dealt with in the past it was to get old games going again whereas they aren't supported for modern communication means so you end up having to get creative such as serial over ethernet to tunnel a serial handshake over a large distance.