Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My windows Explorer won't open  (Read 13603 times)

Ramos Ross

My windows Explorer won't open
« on: March 26, 2004, 07:09:53 AM »
Everytime i try to open "any" of files on my computer even the control panel i get a "windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." message.  So i can't open any file on my computer just Internet Explore or any program on my desktop. Do i need to reinstall.

Doomsday_J

Re: My windows Explorer won't open
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 08:38:16 AM »
What Operating System are you running?

sadly lost

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 09:41:30 AM »
I am having the same problem.  It asks me to reinstall windows.  I am using Windows ME.  I want to copy my hard drive to a cd before i reinstall.  What dos command do i need to use?

I want to copy everything in c:/my documents to the CD drive which is D:

Help!

Ramos Ross

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 11:41:32 AM »
i'm runnig windows XP

Doomsday_J

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 12:24:14 PM »
I am having the same problem.  It asks me to reinstall windows.  I am using Windows ME.  I want to copy my hard drive to a cd before i reinstall.  What dos command do i need to use?

I want to copy everything in c:/my documents to the CD drive which is D:

Help!

copy c:\mydocuments d:

I dont think its gonna work though, you need a cd burner software to write files to a cd unless your running XP, I think. Try it see what happens.   Do you have an extra hard drive lieing around? Hook that up and trahsfer the files to it.

Doomsday_J

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 12:25:08 PM »
i'm runnig windows XP

If you were running ME I was gonna suggest reinstalling it or just upgrading. ME is crap.

Ramos Ross

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 01:14:54 PM »
 ???

I was running spybot and i found alot of corrupted files or infected and it gave me the option to remove or repair so i clicked repair and it said it couldn't so i click remove and it said to restart computer so it could erase them before logging since they were being used by computer.  And i did and after that my windows explorer sends a message or pops up a message saying what i explained in the first reply.  So i wonder if spybot could of erased anything in my windows explorer files that could cause this message.

Doomsday_J

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 01:32:46 PM »
You have to be careful using that kind of software. I used adaware the one time and got similar results. I couldnt use my internet explorer at all.  I had to download it again because adaware had deleted a file or two that IE needed to run.  I reccomend going to spybots website and asking for help there, more than likely someone there has had a similar problem.