Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Taskbar went white, can't right-click on desktop, power-off button gone and more  (Read 97542 times)

vdhrdmdm

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello,
    I don't know a lot about computers, so please, bear with me. I'll try to describe everything below.

PC info:
    Windows edition: Windows 8.1
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @1.70GHz 2.40 GHz
    PC model: Lenovo G50-70

The problems I noticed:
    My taskbar went white, alt-tab isn't functioning (it doesn't appear when pressed), I can't right-click on the desktop, the power-off button is gone almost everywhere, and the whole Windows 8 doesn't even look like windows 8 anymore. When opening a desktop folder, it doesn't open right away and the space is blank before displaying the also blank folder after a long time (3 minutes-ish), it displays the contents. Also, when clicking a folder, the whole rectangle around it isn't highlighted, just the icon and the folder's name (pictures attached where I could take them).

What I was/wasn't doing:
    I was surfing the internet. The computer was slow and I noticed that explorer.exe froze on task manager. I'm assuming it wanted to restart (because the taskbar disappeared before reappearing white) and something went wrong. I haven't visited any sites I usually don't and I wasn't downloading anything, so I don't think it's a virus.

What I tried:
    Turning off the computer, restarting the computer (the power-off/restart button only appears on my lock screen), restoring to a restore point before the problem, manually restarting explorer.exe on task manager. I have also tried browsing the internet for solutions, but most answers say that the toolbar problem's a cosmetic thing and that it can be fixed by right-clicking on the desktop, which I can't.

Pictures:
    Picture 1: The white taskbar
    Picture 2: Example of opening a folder. The window differs from the state before the problem.
    Picture 3: Another example of the file explorer looking different
    If you want any before-the-problem pictures, or pictures of the things I wasn't able to capture (folder highlight, the disappearance of the power off button) I can attempt to upload them, but they are/will be taken with a phone camera, so the quality may not be the best.

If there's any important information I forgot, I'll add it.
    Thank you for your time and willingness to help!