Microsoft > Windows 3.x/9x/ME

Low Disk Space for Swapping File

(1/4) > >>

comda:
Greetings CH!

Its been a while, but I have finally completed (at least the hardware part) of my classic gaming PC! I will list specs down below for those interested, but I need your help in the software department a bit.

The computer seems to struggle at unzipping files, odd for a 1ghz Coppermine CPU, and often times even freezes. So far, I've installed Windows 98 SE, got USB drivers, GPU and Chipset drivers installed, Got DX9c installed and attempted to install the unofficial windows 98SE Service pack update, when I received an error that states the following,

"Extracting File Failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or Corrupted Cabinet file."

Now I've used computers with slower Cpu's in Windows 98SE and I had no issues like extracting the update, opening files on USB, or in the case of this computer, it freeze when even coping data from my USB.

I have one suspicion and thats my CF card "hard drive" but im not sure how id fix the issue. Instead of using a traditional hard drive, I decided to get a IDE adapter, and it has a 16gb CF card for its drive. I had my last two IDE drives fail on me, so im not really in the mood to trust any more.

Specs are

Spacewalker AV11 Motherboard
1ghz Coppermine Pentium 3 CPU
Chaintech Nvidia 4200Ti GPU @ 128mb
16gb CF card
256 + 128MB of SD RAM
And I think its a AWE 32 SoundBlaster card.

I plan to use this rig to play some of my classics like my classic need for speed collection, GTA VC, DOOM series, Titanic adventure out of time, GTA2 etc. So getting it running smoothly would be great. Appreciate your help in advance. Thanks.

patio:
It's the card...suprised you even got it to work on that setup

2 choices,,,back to an IDE HDD...or give up the ghost

Lisa_maree:
The motherboard is of the vintage it may have bulged capacitors.
Also your ram of 256mb and 128mb seems a little strange  for the motherboard when it was most likely to have worked best with 3 * 64 mb  modules. If the motherboard supports the 384 mb of memory you will need to set the swap file size to at least this size.
I seem to remember running Windows 98 on 32 mb of memory. So perhaps try with just the 128 mb memory installed.
this link may give you some info  https://www.techrepublic.com/forums/discussions/max-ram-for-windows-98-se/

comda:

--- Quote from: patio on September 02, 2019, 07:21:05 PM ---It's the card...suprised you even got it to work on that setup

2 choices,,,back to an IDE HDD...or give up the ghost

--- End quote ---

See I thought this myself, and know that CF cards are a hit or miss. As I see many Youtubers including Lazy Game Reviews using them.

That could be part of my problem. Not denying that. however I know im also having some sort of issues with DirectX.

I'll do an install with a regular old spinner, and see how my results vary.

comda:

--- Quote from: Lisa_maree on September 02, 2019, 08:12:40 PM ---The motherboard is of the vintage it may have bulged capacitors.
Also your ram of 256mb and 128mb seems a little strange  for the motherboard when it was most likely to have worked best with 3 * 64 mb  modules. If the motherboard supports the 384 mb of memory you will need to set the swap file size to at least this size.
I seem to remember running Windows 98 on 32 mb of memory. So perhaps try with just the 128 mb memory installed.
this link may give you some info  https://www.techrepublic.com/forums/discussions/max-ram-for-windows-98-se/

--- End quote ---

I read that as well, hence why I went under the 512mb limit. I also happen to still have the manual to this motherboard. The book claims it can take a maximum of a 256mb stick per slot. so thats 3x 256mb. I went well under that limit. However, I plan to run a mem test to see if I have any ram issues. currently running 98 on a spinner. lets see how it goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version