Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What do you think about Windows XP

Absolutely the best OS I've ever seen and used
11 (15.9%)
My favourite OS, even with the small bugs
10 (14.5%)
Doesn't matter to me it just needs to work
6 (8.7%)
Oh man all the bugs, when's the next update?
3 (4.3%)
I HATE this OS, I only use, because I have to !!
16 (23.2%)
I destroyed my computer, because of it >:-( !!
2 (2.9%)
I'd rather buy Linux/Unix !
5 (7.2%)
I'd rather buy Macintosh !
16 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Buy Mac ??  (Read 20961 times)

Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Computerfreaks RULE !!!
    Buy Mac ??
    « on: January 17, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »
    Hye everbody !
     I've got Windows XP and I'm pretty tired of all the problems it has ! :( Would you recommend buying a Macintosh OS ? Ic was thinking about buying the new Tiger Edition, but I don't know the advantages and disadvantages ! Please help !
    Don't smoke!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Buy Mac ??
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »
    As you can probably see from the amount of posts in this section and from what I can tell you based off what I see from who visits and participates on this forum the majority of who's going to see this is the non-mac user so you're going to get a pretty bias opinion on this question. However, it is still a good question and I think if anyone has had experience with both Mac and PCs you should reply to this post. From my limited experience with the Mac (but still a lot more than none) I'll give you my suggestions.

Note: Apple recently released their Macintosh computers with Intel processors. Who knows a lot of these things I say could very likely change. I have no experience with the new Macs yet.

Advantages
    • Macs are a lot more user friendly at this point in time, you're not going to have to deal with any viruses, spyware, malware, etc. or if you do it's not going to be anything close to what a Windows user has to deal with.
    • Although still close, Macs still dominate the PCs when it comes to graphics, video editing, etc.
    • OS X and above is a BSD variant, which means if you wanted to you could learn some things about the *nix environment through the shell.
    Disadvantages
    • Going to have to start over and learn everything again.
    • Unless your friends and family and other contacts are Mac people you may run into a lot of issues as far as sharing programs and accessing data because their on different platforms. These are just problems though not impossibilities.
    • At this time the percentage of Mac vs. PC users (to my knowledge) is low. A lot more businesses are going to be using PC only or primarily PC based platforms, which may put you at a disadvantage.
    • Although the Mac does have a lot of software (programs/games/etc.) it's not anything close to the amount of programs available to Windows. Especially when it comes to free programs.
    • All software / games you've purchased will no longer work on the Mac. However, you may be able to get a emulator to get some or most of those programs to work on the Mac.
    Just another thought, if you're so sick of Windows you may want to consider sticking with the PC platform but just switching your operating system to a Linux variant. A lot more stable and little or no viruses/spyware also.
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:10:53 AM by admin »
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:40:15 AM »
      Thanks alot for the advice and your flow of knowledge !!  ;D Because of the video-editing I think I will choose Macintosh !!  :o , but one more question, od Windows-programs work with Mac, if not it doesn't matter ! I'll use the godd*mn Windows :(  :'(  [smiley=angry.gif]

Anyways Thanks again
      Don't smoke!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 09:09:31 AM »
      Need some sort of emulator to try to get PC programs to work on the Mac. Keep in mind that not all programs will work and sometimes when they do they may not be flawless.
      http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html

Access PC programs on the MAc using a program such as Virtual PC:
      http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

lucofearl

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »
      Macintosh must die!  >:(

Ted2

Intermediate
        « Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:45:59 PM »
        I don't know what you want out of this new computer you are looking for.  But i'd still have to say PC. Even if you do wan't it for video/music editing i'd still say get a PC.
        Unless you are a film director or something and you are looking for that little extra.  :-?  :-?
        But Windows Movie Maker and meny others have everything you will ever need on them.

And i would even disagee with Macs being the most user freindly, (only 1 button to click on the mouse so it look's nicer. Not to make it more simple, you actualy have to use the keyboard for a right click!)
        All it is a more colourful and freindly looking GUI.

Also it depend's how long you have been using Windows for. If your quite experienced with Windows you will find the Mac very frustrating, ALL keyboard shortcuts have changed! even Alt+Ctrl+Del! (I'm not sure what it is now, but if you find out let me know!)

And as for errors, I've always thought of it being like this:
        On a PC you may open and do pritty much what ever you like with any file,
        on a Mac the settings and files you may use are limited (which probaly a big reason why hardly no one writes virus for Mac).
        On the other hand if you do find any problems on the Mac your probaly not going to have any luck putting it back right without reformatting!

Well.. that's my rather long and biased review
        I have been using Mac's for about 2 months now, and the ones im using are buggy and freeze up all the time,
        and no admin's have even atempted to try and get them running properly again...
        Sorry if it's too late and you already bought one, and all I have done is insulted your new computer!  :-X

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 10:57:06 PM »
        And you are a month late in doing so!  ::)

Ted2

Intermediate
          « Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 09:23:04 AM »
           :-/
          Well it is a question that will probaly be asked alot. 171 views, there is a chance i helped someone. No harm in trying anyway.

Besides he might still be here...

to be honest... i was just bored!!  :-[  :P
          « Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 09:24:31 AM by Ted2 »

Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 03:27:25 PM »
            @Ted2
             Windows Movie Maker is certainly not enough 4 Video editing and by now I haven't founf a really good program 4 editing. (Except MAGIX Video Deluxe 2005 for video Editing and sum other programs 4 DVD-Making... I made a list of reivews which I can't find any more on the forums :( ). I've uninstalled nearly all windows-programs (all rubbish) except the stuff like Microsoft Office. I surely am looking 4 something extra ;), cause' Windows really does go on my nerves. Keeps on crashing unexpectedly, after the night before it all works well !  >:(
             And as 4 all that stuff of crashing windows... up until now I couldn't really get back any stuff from Windows. The only way I found 2 do that was buy another HD, install Windows on that 1 and "recover" everthing from the other HD. The disadvantage --> u need 2 reinstall everything again (and to be honest I reinstalled Windows half a year ago and I'm still not finished with reinstallin' evertyhing). Mac can't really be that worse than windows and I'm gonna install Mac on anthoer HD anyway..just for a try.
            Thanx anyway...eventhough u were bored  ;)  :D  ;D
            Don't smoke!

TN2COOL

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 09:48:12 PM »
            Oh god, I was stalking around here cuz i was bored and when I saw the 2nd post of advantages and disadvantages.. I JUST HAD TO REZ THIS!

Alright first of all..

Advantages

* Macs are a lot more user friendly at this point in time, you're not going to have to deal with any viruses, spyware, malware, etc. or if you do it's not going to be anything close to what a Windows user has to deal with.

Defending agaisnt spyware and such is based on user intelligence.. all you need is a firewall and a capable AV and your set, 3 years with this comp and only got ONE virus, which was through a lan network with my friend.

* Although still close, Macs still dominate the PCs when it comes to graphics, video editing, etc.

Macs DO NOT dominate.. For the price of a 1.5k mac, you can easily build a 3800+ X2 amd or get a opteron and OC it to practically huge advances in Ghz over the intel mac processors... Graphics cards also, as the 7800GT is a good well around card and beats the ATI competition that are used in the intel macs hands down.

geekpcservice

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 05:23:13 PM »
            In my shop, I have Mac OS 8 on my desktop Mac, OS X on my Mac mini, Win2k on my PC desktop and Win XP on my laptop. As far as I concern, there is no one OS better then the other. They all have their pros and cons. I haven't had any majoy problems with my Win XP pro (yet). However, I dislike the GUI. I rather use Win 2k then the XP.And I love the Mac OS X because of its pleasent looking GUI.

MacPC

Intermediate
              « Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 09:03:19 PM »
              MAC RULES!!!!! ;D :D ;) :) 8-) ::) :P :-*

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 06:06:43 PM »
              The definitive answer?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
                « Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 08:12:49 PM »
                I saw video editing mentioned. Anyone who says the Mac is the answer should watch this (beware of profanity in 2 or 3 places):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3775428884234439298&q=apple+mac&pl=true
                "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Mrjcwhite

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 03:16:17 PM »
                i know some people who own mac and it wouldn't read a mp3 cd i sent down there nor would it see a vcd i sent mac are [size=24]crap[/size]

jackpkmn

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 03:41:17 PM »
                I say mac is AN answer not THE answer. Depends on what you need to use it for. Use PCs for buisness applications and mass production. Also the fact that you can get 100 PC clones for 2000$ is highly apealing to buisness as they are fast and reliable for buisness applications. Howeve on the coplete opsit side of the problem if you need awsom multimeda or grafics workings then you want a mac. Because of the wider range of displayable colors and more powerfull mbut not as fast grafix prosceing makes them ideal for grafics working. Gameing on computers is still a contraversioal issue but so fart PCs have been the top of the game. Although I hate to admit it PCs boast faster grafix proscsing and lower prices as well as more games. Allthough Macs can stand up in preformance to PCs for games they are quite expensive. So when chooseing between Mac and PC it comes down to what you want to do with it.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
                  « Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »
                  ive used windows since i was 8( almost 10 years) and i used mac for 4 years i have troubleshooted both platforms at my high school and for friends and family. i only like macs for video editing( which i got up to advanced in).. so i still go w/ pc just because i grow up with pc..

i know im really late on this topic but i want to say this

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 06:22:40 PM »
                  Yes, only over a month late.

zzaio

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 05:28:41 PM »
                  I've used both Windows machines and Macs for many, many years.  I always prefer Macs.  I use PC's only when I have to because of application requirements.  I have 3 macs at home, I've used many Macs over the years at work, as well as PC's.  Macs are a hellof more enjoyable to use, are way more stable than windows machines.  I think they always have been, and this is more so now with OS X.  It is hands down the best, most stable OS i've used.  

Until MicroSoft drops their backwards compatibility requirments, Windows will never be a well designed OS.  Backwards compatibility is just to restrictive to allow good design.  In my opinion, Apple has the better solution:  Building a completely new OS, and emulating OS 9 for running old applciations.

I don't  have experience with the new Intel powered Macs, my newest is a 17 in PowerBook G4.

I do own Virtual PC, but it is quite slow/weak.  Microsoft Office for Mac is better than Office for PC, however.

I think the only downside of macs is the cost premium.  But the quality of the Hardware, OS, and software justifies the higher cost for serious users.  My time is worth too much to muck around with Windows configurations all of the time.

Hope this helps,

Daniel