Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: O/S Hangs on Post  (Read 2498 times)

Diagon696HO

O/S Hangs on Post
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:42:33 PM »
 ;D Hi, My Compaq when started going threw POST hangs on the Compaq screen for about 1 minute everytime, then proceeds to the Windows screen to start . Floopy drive light is on during this period. If you unplug the Floopy drive the system still will hang in the Compaq screen before swithing to the Windows screen. My system is Windows XP Pro, With HP dvd640 burner(2 months old) and the latest upgrades to windows security. Trying to elimate stepbystep, but am not getting to anywhere yet,HELP.

pcdoc4christ

Re: O/S Hangs on Post
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »
Diagon:

Are you able to get to the Windows desktop?  If so, what is the problem?

Doc

Diagon696HO

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 07:44:38 PM »
 ;D Is the window destop the microsoft screen? Sorry for the dah, When I power up The first thing that happen is my Compaq screen comes up and stays up for about 1minute, no F10 or esc or ctrl, alt ,delete will change the screen. after the 1 minute it will power up to the microsoft window and so forth. Hope the sheds more light on the problem, Thanks, Steve.

Perfect Agent52

Hopeful
  • Give them nothing, but take from them everything
    « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 05:59:08 AM »
    The updates may have done something. Or, you computer just may be just taking longer to load or recognize the floppy.
    HP Pavilion A6010n
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.80 ghz
    XFX Nvidia 7600gt PCI-E graphics card
    2 GB Kingston DDR2 SDRAM PC4200
    Antec 500W PSU

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:24:36 AM »
    ;D Is the window destop the microsoft screen? Sorry for the dah, When I power up The first thing that happen is my Compaq screen comes up and stays up for about 1minute, no F10 or esc or ctrl, alt ,delete will change the screen. after the 1 minute it will power up to the microsoft window and so forth. Hope the sheds more light on the problem, Thanks, Steve.

OK, so it is just taking a long time to get the the desktop (where all the icons are located) so you can start using the computer.  Your hard drive may be getting full, or you may have too many programs trying to start when you turn on the computer, or it may be a setting in the BIOS, or a virus. 

Has the computer gradually become slower to start, or did this happen all of the sudden?  If it happened suddenly, what change did you make just before the slow down (did you install a new Windows update, a new program, a new drive or expansion card)?

Sorry for all the questions.  Perfect and i have to figure out the cause before we can propose a solution.

Doc
    « Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 05:26:42 AM by pcdoc4christ »

Diagon696HO

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 07:32:08 PM »
     ;D ;D Thanks eveyeone for the tech support. I took the info and went through some steps. The answer lyed in my scanner that was reinstalled around the same time. It turns out to be a Hardware problem. This older scanner as problem fitting in. After I unplugged each external device one at a time and powered up the scanner was the one that caused the problem. My next step is to reinstall it the rightway with any updates and ofcourse check with Microsoft on the hardware compatabilty part. My description of the problem was poor, but with help from this site I got the idea to try some basic moves and it worked. Thanks to everyone for the help, Steve.