Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Like a Netgear Over Troubled Waters  (Read 3563 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Like a Netgear Over Troubled Waters
« on: September 13, 2019, 05:31:18 PM »
As you no doubt remember from previous posts ( ???), I bought a new router and moved it to the front of my apartment.

In the back of my apartment, my Galaxy phone picks up the signal nice and strong. My wife's (brand new, bought two days before the new ones were announced) iPhone does NOT pick up the signal nice and strong.

So I was going to hook up my old router in the middle of the apartment and use it as a repeater.

I'm trying to follow these instructions.

One thing that's stymieing me.

I have my old router plugged into power. It is NOT plugged into the internet.

If I do a factory reset, I can log on through my browser, wirelessly.

But once I change the name and password on the router, I can no longer log in! (And, yes, I've gone and re-selected the network in my Network system tray). It shows as "Connected, No Internet", but when I punch in the 192. address, it gives me an "Unable to Connect" screen.

That's weird, right?

(Also - I'm on a Surface Pro 4. I have a USB-to-CAT 5 dongle plugged into the LAN port, but I can't seem to get into the router through that. It just says "Unidentified Network - No Internet".)
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Like a Netgear Over Troubled Waters
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 06:02:34 PM »
OK you can ignore this. I think it's because I turned NAT off.

Now the trick is - how do I change the router's IP address so I can daisy chain them?

Ugh.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.