Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: When settting up new laptop, accidently clicked Accept to tracking  (Read 14645 times)

brooke53

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    When settting up new laptop, accidently clicked Accept to tracking
    « on: September 16, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »
    Asus laptop with Windows 10. As soon as I plugged it in, I was prompted to go through a lot of questions to set it up, etc. One screen I barely had time to read, it was to allow Microsoft (I guess) to be privy to everything I do on the laptop (I think). I accidentally clicked Accept because the arrow was hovering over it and when I tried to move it to point at Decline, it just clicked. I've never had a laptop and find it almost impossible to control/use the "mouse". I absolutely do not want to be spied on so can I undo this mistake as it wouldn't let me go back one screen and change my answer, so to speak. I know there are places to click Off and No for privacy settings so if I do all that will this undo my initial Accept mistake?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: When settting up new laptop, accidently clicked Accept to tracking
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 12:02:41 AM »
    If you ever come back to see this message again, 

I've never had a laptop and find it almost impossible to control/use the "mouse"
    If you are having difficulties using the laptop mouse (aka trackpad), then I would suggest you get yourself an external usb pluggable mouse for your laptop.

One screen I barely had time to read, it was to allow Microsoft (I guess) to be privy to everything I do on the laptop (I think).
    Are you referring to having seen a screen like the one below during your setup of Windows 10?

H4ckRn00b

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »
      One screen I barely had time to read, it was to allow Microsoft (I guess) to be privy to everything I do on the laptop (I think).
      You barely had time to read?
      hmmm

Any way, you got 3 options. They all need you to write down your activatation code AND THE product ID
      1. Revoke permissions, like you said. If you know how to do that, great! Fastest, but not very certain.
      2. You can try to reset Windows, this is an option during boot up. Costs more time, but it is more certain.
      2. Reinstall Windows. You would need to download installation media from the microsof site, put it on an usb and reinstall it. Takes the most time, but you're 100% certain no funny business occurs.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:26:11 PM »
      I know there are places to click Off and No for privacy settings so if I do all that will this undo my initial Accept mistake?

Yes. The "Startup Experience" (As MS would call it, I'm sure) is largely just a shortcut for a subset of some of the Privacy options found in Settings. You can go right into Settings->Privacy and toggle those options back off. In fact, it's a good idea to pop in there anyway, since there are many options that default to on that are not presented during Install.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
      Hopefully the OP comes back to read this post, 2 months and counting later .... :)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
      Well necromancing old posts is what hackernoob does...get used to it.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "