Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Xp media pkg 2 help  (Read 96692 times)

k8t04

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Xp media pkg 2 help
    « on: September 21, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
    Looking for advice
    I decided to revive my Dell Inspiron E1505 media package 2 which was pre installed. My end game would be to connect to the internet and use excel on it. I did not know xp went dark. Is there a way to have a newer version of windows installed and get the laptop working again?

Side note I have wireless connected but no internet browser. Is this because of windows xp?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Xp media pkg 2 help
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »
    Anything later than XP isn't likely to run particularly well on a E1505. You might "get away" with it for your tasks as long as you have the system maxed out with 2GB of RAM, but you would need to purchase a license and it doesn't seem like it would work automatically- you'd need to tinker with several drivers.

XP only "went dark" in that the OS no longer receives security updates from Microsoft. So if it doesn't start or has a black screen that isn't related to any support changes. I have a few systems running XP and they are both fully capable of web browsing and using applications.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.