Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Programming for Windows GUI Applications  (Read 11660 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Programming for Windows GUI Applications
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:41:53 PM »
Coworker asked me if there was an easier way to program to make button click type of Windows user interface programs to do stuff.

Years ago he programmed in Visual Basic and he said it was so easy to make a pop up Window and click on buttons and enter values. I pointed him to C# and C++ and he feels overwhelmed by the complexity of it.

So figured I'd post this here for him to see if there is a direction to point him in for creation of programs that have GUI button controls and user input fields.

I haven't messed much at all with Visual Basic to see what he means by things being way easier 20 years ago than they are today for creating programs that have button controls as for C# for me works best for a program like that.

Maybe he just needs to come up to the times of this is where programming is at and play with it to learn it and then it wont be so painful for him. He doesnt seem to care what language it is just that the creation of a Windows GUI type of program be as easy as it was back in the day of Visual Basic was for him, which I cant relate to because I have been mainly a console app type programmer and not so much GUI.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Programming for Windows GUI Applications
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »
I think Visual Basic stopped d at version 6.0 some time ago.
You may wish to do a search for Vidal Basic .NET to see what is new.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic_.NET

** Linux

This version of the Microsoft wonder is still very useful to many users.
https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2019/02/12/tiobe-feb-19.aspx

After hitting a high in the index a couple months ago, VB.NET features strongly in the new February 2019 report. In fact, among the top 20 languages tracked by TIOBE, VB.NET exhibited the highest growth from the previous year's rating, an increase of 3.02 percent.
Just plain old Visual Basic, meanwhile, fell five slots from No. 12 last year to No. 17 this year, with a 1.19 percent drop in share. Another Microsoft programming language, C#, fell from No. 5 last year to No. 7 this year, with a percentage drop of 1.61 percent. TypeScript, however, has literally fallen of the chart, being delegated to a simple list of "the next 50 programming languages."
Something to think about.  8)

**  footnote: Linux users may want to explore Mono, yet another Microsoft language that includes the kitchen sink.
https://www.mono-project.com/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:20:03 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »
Form design using Windows Forms is pretty the same as it was with Visual Basic. That project type however is not the default option. In any case when using Windows Forms, You draw controls onto a GUI form. Double-clicking adds a new event handler for the default event and you can add other event handlers via the properties window. It's all very much the same as how VB6's Form Designer worked. (Except in VB6's case you can drop down a combo in the code editor to choose another event to create an event handler).

to see what he means by things being way easier 20 years ago
I'd guess that he says it was easier 20 years ago largely because 20 years ago he knew how to do it. It didn't really get more difficult, it's just that everything he learned about how to do that then is not translatable to how it is done now.

Not to mention it's very possible he might be just as lost with VB6 right now- after all, 20 years is a long time!
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Hackoo

Hopeful
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 04:37:28 AM »
And What about HTA = HTML Application  ;)
Point him to this link to learn quickly and easy https://www.robvanderwoude.com/vbstech_hta.php

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
For what is may be worth, popularity in programming languages comes and goes .

Top 20 Most Popular Programming Languages To Learn For Your Open-source Project

Mehedi Hasan, author, gives his list the top 5 items:
 1. JavaScript
 2. Python
 3. Java
 4. C++
 5. Swift

The number 5 item I never heard of.  But it has been 20 years ago I left commercial programming.  ::)

Considering it’s a much newer language than some other picks, Swift is going very strong these recent years. The massive boost experienced by Swift, one of the latest programming languages is due to the convenience it offers to open source developers. The language behind most modern iOS applications, Swift has a lot to offer regarding developing high-tech open source projects.

My first language was COBOL.  :'(

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »
Thanks everyone. I e-mailed him link to Computerhope Forum so he can see what you all said.

Geek mentioned. "My first language was COBOL." in regards to how languages come and go of popularity.

First programming language for me was Basic on a TRS-80 Model 1 with 16k RAM. Most of Basic for TRS-80 I was able to use in GW-Basic on the IBM 8088 in the 1980s where I absolutely loved being able to use colors and sound because I liked making video games and programs with color appeal when 10 years old. I used GW-Basic up until QBasic with DOS 5.0 in the early 90s. But instead of programming in QBasic newer structure I stuck it out with the Basic legacy support for using line numbers because I found that much easier to control and I absolutely LOVED using GOTO statements to jump to anywhere in the program. When I went to college in 1998 though I was introduced to C++ and my college professor broke me out of the use of spaghetti code. I was at first excited when I saw that C++ had support for goto statements, but the professor said I am going to break you from that habit a for everything can be nested in loops and goto's are poor programming. And it worked I no longer use goto's and came forward to object oriented programming.

Back in 1998 the college I went to had 2 options for programming language path, where once you chose the language you had to take 3 courses in it of Intro, Intermediate, and Advanced programming. The choice was the path of Visual Basic or C++ for your degree. I chose C++ because I didnt want to be stuck in a Microsoft OS only platform and C++ was available for many different OS's as well as you didnt have to use a Microsoft provided IDE, so I actually started off with Borland C++ 4.02 which came bundled with Borland C++ 4.02 book from Waldenbooks Store on discount for $9.99. The college book we had had a student edition CD in the back of it of Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 and every program you compiled had the text in the compiled program stating it was compiled using student edition - educational purpose only. I liked that Borland allowed me to compile programs that didnt have this annoyance. However there were some differences between Borland and Microsoft C++ that caused issues when compiling such as one of them required the .h preference to inclusions while the other was fine with #INCLUDE <IOSTREAM> without having to specify #INCLUDE<IOSTREAM.H> which caused some interesting head scratching when sometimes it wasnt completely obvious as to why a syntax wasnt quite right for Borland but I got all my programs to run with it and my professor let me use Borland C++ on my laptop as everyone else was doing their work on Microsoft Visual C++.

These days I dabble in C++, C#, Perl, and Python mostly. A few years ago I was surfing the web and found an online IDE environment for Basic which allowed you to enter code into a window and tell it to compile and run and it would run your Basic code through browser which was interesting but it didnt have a way to save your work other than copy/pasting it out of the workspace in the browser window. So it couldnt be used to compile programs to use, it was there as a place for people to mess with Basic I guess for free without installing or adding an IDE to their system.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 01:36:38 PM »
You know, if you want to knock up something simple, or sometimes not so simple, then Auto-It has a lot going for it. Fairly friendly BASIC-like syntax, access to just about all of the Windows GUI controls, run as scripts or compile to exe, unfortunately some antivirus apps give false positives on compiled Auto-It exe files.