Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why you might NOT buy another Windows PC.  (Read 8287 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Why you might NOT buy another Windows PC.
« on: October 08, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »
After all these years, Microsoft is losing the desktop PC market.  On put another  way, The Desktop PC has come to is end of life.

Next year they will bring Windows 7 to its end. But that is not what I mean. Desktop PC sales are way down, people buy laptops, tablets and smartphone instead. Here is a blurb from last year. Now it is worse and no worth a mention.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/361916/pc-sales-keep-falling-but-big-manufacturers-are-doing-just
PC Sales Keep Falling, But Big Manufacturers Are Doing Just Fine
Worldwide desktop and laptop sales have declined steadily since 2012, but the biggest casualties of the shrinking market have been the little guys; PC shipments from top vendors including Dell, HP, and Lenovo have remained relatively steady.
    By Rob Marvin
    June 20, 2018 8:00AM EST
Here is the problem with Windows: It does not do well on tablets and smartphones. They have tried but it just did not catch on.
Microsoft has the Surface Pro notebook computer. It is nice, but can not approach the polarity of other similar devices hat work almost as good.
Look at his:
https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-using-googles-android-software-is-bigger-than-its-surface-duo-phone/

You can draw your own conclusion.

Here is what I think.  It seems the the Surface Pro will never be a major player in the Personal Computer market. Unless they make it into an Android!

Am I wrong?  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Why you might NOT buy another Windows PC.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
Desktop PC and Laptop sales have been declining simply because people keep them longer. mobiles like Smartphones and Tablets have components such as batteries that are not intended to be consumer replacable which after about 2 or 3 years end up causing issues, slow performance, or random power-offs which will frustrate most users. Paired with the status symbol some people have attached to new phones, they get replaced far more readily.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 08:13:33 AM »
The demise of the desktop has been predicted for quite a few years now.  The main thing keeping desktops alive is the gaming market.  The PC is the superior platform for gaming, as long as there are gamers, there will be a market for desktop PCs.

Kamryn

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 02:45:48 PM »
I know this hasn't been posted in for over a month, but I want to add, it's not just gamers. Sometimes, we like using a desktop.
You can do more with a desktop, like add addon cards more USB port, etc.
I have a desktop connected to my TV for my entertainment system, so I can watch my downloaded movies, shows, watch Youtube, etc.
I mostly use a desktop beccuase of preference. Sometimes, I use a laptop, like if I'm in bed.

PCs are generally easier to use than an mobile phone, or tablet; becuase apps are limited, for one thing.