Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Restarting/BSOD When Pressing on (and near) Touchpad  (Read 3025 times)

Jokniserous

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Amnaj mnaj mnaj
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Laptop Restarting/BSOD When Pressing on (and near) Touchpad
    « on: October 09, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
    My friend's Acer E15-571 laptop is crashing whenever he presses (not too hard, not too soft) on the touchpad and close to it (basically below the keyboard area).  He has recently installed and SSD in this laptop (I have the same laptop and have recently done the same and mine does not have this issue and therefore I don't think it was because of this), but he thinks it might have been happening for longer than that as it has restarted on its own before the installation of the SSD.

Any help? We have no clue what the heck is going on.  I have searched on Google many times to try resolve this issue and found absolutely nothing.  He has uninstalled and re-installed the SSD multiple times with no avail and he has checked the connectors of his SSD, keyboard and touchpad multiple times.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop Restarting/BSOD When Pressing on (and near) Touchpad
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
    As it is necessary on that model to remove the whole bottom of the Laptop to change the hard drive. Disconnect the ribbon cable to  the right 2 usb ports just to swap the drive.

The drive plugs into a socket which is soldered direct onto the main board onto the opposite side you can see. It could be damaged connections between the main board and sata drive connector or a damaged sata connector. I suggest you remove the base and with a wooden chopstick very gently press around the area where the SSD plugs into the motherboard. PLEASE NOTE do not do this if the SSD has important data. Loosing power or a data connection to an ssd will cause data loss. Backup the ssd before you try this.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan