Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Software to password protect a local folder on Win 10  (Read 23826 times)

mattewlls

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Software to password protect a local folder on Win 10
    « on: October 20, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
    Switched from Mac which has less security issues once enabling iCloud activation lock. However, Windows 10 password can be easily recovered or removed so i am a bit concerned of my important files. Can I add password to a folder and only granted users are open to see the files?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Software to password protect a local folder on Win 10
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »
    Read this:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000705.htm
    Unfortunately, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 do not provide any features for password protecting files or folders. You need to use a third-party software program to accomplish this.
    The article goes on to explain howto encrypt a folder.
    Otherwise, use  software not from Microsoft.  :)

mattewlls

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 12:15:42 AM »
      Read this:
      https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000705.htmThe article goes on to explain howto encrypt a folder.
      Otherwise, use  software not from Microsoft.  :)

Thanks. but the folder does not ask me for password when accessing the folder.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 12:37:43 AM »
      You could use a tool like VeraCrypt and create an encrypted volume. A password would be needed to mount it.

This is similar to how Mac OS provides folder encryption- the "folder" is actually an encrypted volume that requires a password.

You could also encrypt the entire drive, if using a capable Edition of Windows, using BitLocker encryption.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 02:06:20 AM »
      Had a situation once where sensitive information wanted to be shared with others and the route they went was zipping the folder with password required to unzip it. It was placed into a shared folder location on the network which contained the password protected zipped folder. So if anyone happened to get to the shared location without password they couldnt unlock it at their end. But not sure how secure this is in todays terms of cracking password protected zip compressed files and folders.

If the users are using the contents and editing them then they would need to be able to replace the zipped folder/files with their latest copy. BUT... the more people working with the data at the same time can lead to data lost because if someone sent their zipped folder to replace the data as another also does the same, then the last person to replace the zipped folder overwrites the prior changes.

One fix for this though would be multiple folders at this location that each person is given specifically that zipped folder to work on. Each zipped folder having their own unique name keeps from data getting overwritten assuming that the user names it correctly when zipping it back up to post that updated version at the shared location.

mattewlls

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »
        You could use a tool like VeraCrypt and create an encrypted volume. A password would be needed to mount it.

This is similar to how Mac OS provides folder encryption- the "folder" is actually an encrypted volume that requires a password.

You could also encrypt the entire drive, if using a capable Edition of Windows, using BitLocker encryption.

It is a shared computer and only a few private files needs to be protected.  I searched online and will going to test some lightweight suggestion first.

P.S finally got an solution according to this blog post: https://www.tunesbro.com/password-protect-a-folder-windows-10.html

When anyone tries to open that folder, a password prompt appears and this is the one I am searching for.  However, the trial version is only able to set a simple password (123456). For user defined password, need to purchase a license.
        « Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:33:27 PM by mattewlls »

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 11:57:33 AM »
        Just to note that if someone booted the computer off of linux... they would likely have access to all data. So to consider this when a single shared computer is used, as for if anyone is "determined" to have access to that data, they could use a bootable USB stick or Disc to get around that password protection of single folder as well as it would get around any Windows credentials giving them access to any and all data unless that data is encrypted somehow to protect from this sort of easy work around to gaining access to the data.

Best solution would be a shared USB stick with the data that remains on that since its a shared computer and that USB stick shared with all who are using that data that others need to be locked out of. With single computer it can be passed among you since only 1 person can use the computer at a time and when unattended the data isnt there its on one of the trusted individuals.

Encrypting a drive volume and going that route I dont feel is necessary as for people can lock themselves out of their encrypted drives and lose access to all data. However encrypted drive would follow the Windows privilege behavior of the file system and Linux would just see it as a mess of data that cant be viewed without a tool to decrypt the data on the drive.

mattewlls

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
          Just to note that if someone booted the computer off of linux... they would likely have access to all data. So to consider this when a single shared computer is used, as for if anyone is "determined" to have access to that data, they could use a bootable USB stick or Disc to get around that password protection of single folder as well as it would get around any Windows credentials giving them access to any and all data unless that data is encrypted somehow to protect from this sort of easy work around to gaining access to the data.

Thanks for the advice. This is not an issue coz the system admin blocked the physical USB port on that computer.

Gable

Rookie

• Retired Mainframe Programmer Analyst
          « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 06:46:03 PM »
          Windows 10 is now a problem for me and I don't recall how to create a new topic in Hope I only did that once before. Unfortunately I have short term memmory loss at age 77.

About my Win10 problem, I just bought it and am trying to install it on my Windows XP but as per Win10 writeup using the provided USB stick and Botting from the USB it fails after trying to link, to Microsofts suport centre I presume. I get the message that now it kind find my O.S.

Well of course not, it's not on that USB that I'm booting from, it's on my Hard Drive.  Can anyone help me solve this problem for free instead of paying $5 to that annoying Help sytem that got stuck in my Chrome browser and how do I post a new topic on Hope? Thanks, Gable.