Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Few question  (Read 4926 times)

King_Richjard

Few question
« on: January 19, 2006, 07:58:31 AM »
Hi,

I have two questions:

One is that I was working on my fried's PC, I instslled both Win2K and WinXP on without partitioning HD, is that the wise thing to do? (I read some where that it's not a good idea.)

And also, are PC100 and PC 133 memory interchangable?

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

pcdoc4christ

Re: Few question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 08:10:58 AM »
King:

If there is only one hard drive with one partition and you install Windows 2000 and then install Windows XP, you will not be able to boot to both operating systems.  Otherwise, upgrading Windows 2000 to Windows XP should not cause any problems, unless, of course, Windows 2000 was having problems before you installed Windows XP, then the problems might persist.

Regarding PC100 and PC133 RAM, in many systems they are compatible (one of my PCs can use both).  However, if you install them together in the same system, you will not receive the benefits of the faster 133 "speed".  Check the documentation from the manufacturer of your PC or motherboard to be certain it may use either RAM stick.

Blessings to you,
Doc
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 08:16:45 AM by pcdoc4christ »

King_Richjard

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 08:25:46 AM »
Hi Doc,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to boot it up on both Win2K and WindXP.
But however, when I boot up with Win2K, there are somthing missing. When I tried to use the System Information, it won't start. I am just wondering why that is.

Thanks again.

Richard.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:06:16 PM »
King:

Please let me know exactly what the error message says.

Thanks,
Doc

King_Richjard

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 07:13:02 PM »
Hi Doc,

There wasn't any error message, just a few start menu items won't respone. But the rest of the Win2K works find. I am just concern that whether it will get some problem in the long run.

Richard.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 07:17:37 PM »
Well, it would be on a seperate partition. Try reinstalling 2K on that partition. Also make sure you gave the partition enough space for the system to run on.

Flame

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 03:03:40 AM »
    Hi Doc,

There wasn't any error message, just a few start menu items won't respone. But the rest of the Win2K works find. I am just concern that whether it will get some problem in the long run.

Richard.
    I didn't believe people too, and tried myself Xp and 2k on the same partition. Had problems...
    I don't remember exactly, but I think W2K showed blue screen at startup after a while.
    You'll have sure. But different partitions wouldn't cause any.
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 08:29:38 AM »
    Hi,

I have two questions:

One is that I was working on my fried's PC, I instslled both Win2K and WinXP on without partitioning HD, is that the wise thing to do? (I read some where that it's not a good idea.)

Microsoft says, "You should install each operating system on a separate logical drive. If you install multiple operating systems on single drive, you may experience problems when you attempt to run those operating systems."  See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q217210

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 08:30:04 AM by soybean »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »
    ...I was able to boot it up on both Win2K and WindXP.
    But however, when I boot up with Win2K, there are somthing missing. ...

Sorry, i'm not sure i understand the problem.  How do you know something is missing, and what do you think is missing?

Doc
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:33:34 PM by pcdoc4christ »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 01:37:23 PM »
    Microsoft says, "You should install each operating system on a separate logical drive. If you install multiple operating systems on single drive, you may experience problems when you attempt to run those operating systems."  See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q217210

Soybean is correct.  If Windows 2000 is installed in the WINNT folder and Windows XP is installed in the WINDOWS folder of the same partition, you will not be able to start Windows 2000.  Each operating system must have its own partition.  Do you have both a WINNT and a WINDOWS folder on your Local Drive (C:)?

Best regards,
    Doc
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:39:15 PM by pcdoc4christ »