Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting out of MS-DOS Mode??  (Read 7203 times)

Idontknowcomputers

Getting out of MS-DOS Mode??
« on: August 09, 2004, 03:11:47 AM »
Okay I dont know if this belongs here or not, but here it is. I have Windows 95 or 98, I dont know which one. But I restarted me computer in MS-DOS Mode, and now I cant get out! Someone said to type exit and press enter, I did, but it just restarts and comes back up in MS-DOS. Anyone know whats going on here?

Oscar Suarez

Re: Getting out of MS-DOS Mode??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 04:19:37 AM »
 ;D

Hi,

When PC is restarting press the F8 key constantly as it boots up - before it says "starting windows". This will give you a choice of modes to boot into. Select either safe mode if you still have a problem, or normal mode if you want to get back to normal.

Remember, before you do the crime, think about the time.

Oscar  ::)

Idontknowcomputers

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 04:44:58 AM »
I dont really know what you mean about a crime?but thanks, ill try it.

Idontknowcomputers

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 04:51:03 AM »
No, it only let me log in under safe mode, there were all these other options but I dont know what they are. I tried normal, and it took me right back????

johnwill

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 09:17:46 AM »
Just for laughs, type WIN at the DOS prompt and see if it fires up Windows.

If so, I suspect that the MSDOS.SYS file has GUI=0 instead of GUI=1 in it, change that and the system will run as before.  I believe MSCONFIG will allow you to change this parameter, but I don't have a W98 system to check...

Idontknowcomputers

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 12:50:26 AM »
When I do that it says that I am currently running in MS-DOS mode, and if I want to run in normal to press enter. Well I did, and it just restarts again and it is still in MS-DOS mode. I don't know whats going on. Am I going to have to take it to a shop and pay a ridicules amout of money?

2k dummy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 08:24:06 AM »
At the DOS prompt type scanreg /restore. A list of items should appear. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the highlighted item. Select the one with the oldest date and press enter.

MalikTous

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »
If you are in a root MSDOS shell in Win9x, typing WIN at the dos prompt will start Windows.

If you have a DOS shell session open in Windows (applies to the emulator in NT/XP as well as a DOS session in Win9x), you type EXIT to close the DOS shell and return to Windows.

Idontknowcomputers

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 03:39:59 AM »
I tried typing WIN and Exit, it just re-starts the computer and brings MS-DOS mode back up.

robertmillar

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 05:37:21 AM »
Are you 100% sure that windows is installed?  Type "dir c:" at the command prompt.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 05:38:19 AM by robertmillar »