Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it my modem or my computer?  (Read 49237 times)

CaptainHaddock

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Is it my modem or my computer?
    « on: November 28, 2019, 12:01:55 AM »
    I have a Speedstream modem with a DSL line and a Dell Inspiron.

Every time I boot my computer it takes a longer and longer time to connect to my internet provider. It started out as taking about 5 minutes, then it took 7, and now it takes about 20 minutes or more, and I have to restart my modem a few times to get it recognized at all.

Also, my speed is often slow and cuts in and out and I have to reboot and the computer and modem to increase the speed. After several weeks of this I've reached a point where even rebooting doesn't help.

This problem is getting worse every week, and I have no idea if it is the modem or the computer that is the problem.

I ran a malware scan and quarantined one file and got rid of some tracking cookies, but that didn't help much.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 620
    6 GB Ram
    64 bit operating system
    Intel R Core TM i5-2320 CPU@ 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Modem is Speedstream 5360 ADSL Ethernet Modem

What do you suggest? Is this a problem with memory, the harddrive, or the modem itself or perhaps the wiring? Why did rebooting help at first?

I am really desperate to fix the problem, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is it my modem or my computer?
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 12:47:04 AM »
    Do you have any other computers or internet devices like smart phone or tablet that connects through this same Internet Connection? Do they also have the same issue that this computer has? Do you have a friend who can bring their Tablet or Smart Phone or Laptop to your home to see if they run into the same issue when connecting to your internet connection, if unable to test this out yourself?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »
    Good idea to try what Dave suggested.
    Your modem is really old like original Adsl modem old. And only has a connection for 1 computer no wireless. Have you  made any changes to the phone system and that you have adsl filters on all your telecom devices.

Then  check, when there is no connection if there is a power light and link light on the modem on. If either is missing then it is most likely the Modem is dieing. Anyway 20 + years for a modem is a good life RIP. A new modem will be more reliable connecting and could be faster.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

CaptainHaddock

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »
      Thanks for the advice, it turned out it was the modem, I replaced it and it got the speed back.

There is however, a message on the modem box that says "to maximize connection speed, leave this modem on for 10 days after the DSL installation is complete".

Why is this so?  If I turn off my modem before 10 days, what will happen?  Can I turn it off for a few hours and turn it back on, will the speed be harmed?

Thanks for the help.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 08:48:04 PM »
      HI Again

With modern modems unless you are going to be away for a few weeks or more just leave it on. In most places in the world they only use a few cents a week in power and and can take 5 or more minutes from power up till the internet is ready to use. In some setups other devices like network printers may not work with the modem turned off. So best to leave it on. If you wait the 10 days the exchange equipment will have time to configure your connection for the most stable fastest connection. Also if you keep turning the modem on and off the exchange equipment could see this as a fault and reduce the connection speed. 
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Marion_me

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 06:28:50 AM »
        CaptainHaddock, what model did you end up buying? I ran into the same issue a while ago and replacement seems to be the only viable fix at this point, it was about time for it anyway.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 08:26:32 AM »
        For what is worth, here is what I do.
        I have my cable modem on an clock timer that  turns it off for some part of the early morning . I am not sure is that is needed. But it works.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »
        For what is worth, here is what I do.
        I have my cable modem on an clock timer that  turns it off for some part of the early morning . I am not sure is that is needed. But it works.

There is no reason to turn a modem on and off, the amount of power they use is absolutely negligible and they are designed to be left on 24/7.  All turning it on and off will do is cause inconvenience.

With a cable service, you'll probably get away with this but on DSL this is a really bad idea, at least in the UK, DSL services use a system called DLM (Dynamic Line Management) - if the exchange/ISP's equipment detects that a connection is dropping regularly it will reduce the speed of the line in an attempt to improve the stability, if it sees your modem constantly turning on and off regularly because of your timer or just manually turning it on and off, it may detect this as your line being unstable and drop your speeds.