Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux kernel in Windows 10  (Read 427193 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Linux kernel in Windows 10
« on: December 18, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »
Not sure if this is a Linux story or not.

“The kernel itself will initially be based on version 4.19, the latest long-term stable release of Linux. The kernel will be rebased at the designation of new long-term stable releases to ensure that the WSL kernel always has the latest Linux goodness.”

-- Microsoft program manager Jack Hammons.

Several months back it was said ti be the Windows 10 and is  a full Linux in the kernel.
What does that mean?
Anyway, there is now a Wikimedia entry for it.

Windows Subsystem for Linux
In May 2019, WSL 2 was announced,[2] introducing important changes such as a real Linux kernel,[3] through a subset of Hyper-V features. Since June, 2019, WSL 2 is available to the Windows 10 customers through the Windows Insider program, including the Home edition.[4]
And it goes on to add...
Microsoft's first foray into achieving Unix-like compatibility on Windows began with the Microsoft POSIX Subsystem, superseded by Windows Services for UNIX via MKS/Interix, which was eventually deprecated with the release of Windows 8.1. The technology behind Windows Subsystem for Linux originated in the unreleased Project Astoria, which enabled some Android applications to run on Windows 10 Mobile.[17] It was first made available in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14316.[1
What ? ... Android? Really?   ::)
If you can, explain this to me. Try hard.  :P

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Linux kernel in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 10:22:34 PM »

llibb

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Linux kernel in Windows 10
    « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 10:28:00 AM »
    It's just another one of those things that can't be explained no matter how hard it's tried.
    here's the latest on the android thing, not really that new, but anyway
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4501095/download-the-new-microsoft-edge-based-on-chromium

for the WSL WSL2 thing it's still more of an OEM intro for the OPK for win10 and server.

The easiest way for anyone to come to their own conclusions about where this Interoperability  thing is headed is to do their own search and research -
    my own started at the "Microsoft Store Linux" ! was kinda a no brain er for me. maybe for you too.