Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing the LAN IP of 1 of 2 routers  (Read 10505 times)

John0904

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Changing the LAN IP of 1 of 2 routers
    « on: January 21, 2020, 10:58:26 AM »
    I have 2 tp-link routers. One is wired and the other is wireless. By default, both are 192.168.0.1

The wired one, I am using as a range extender. When I try to change that LAN IP to 192.168.0.200, I lose complete control and not able to access it. I have to do a factory reset to access it again.

I would like to change the LAN IP of the wired one but not sure how.

Suggestions?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Changing the LAN IP of 1 of 2 routers
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 11:11:27 AM »
    It will take me some time, buy I will try to give you a useful answer soon.
    What Windows OS?
    Which TP-Link models?

John0904

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:19:04 AM »
      Windows 10 and the wired range extender router is TP-Link N450. The wireless is a Archer C2300.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 12:17:32 PM »
      This is from dictation. Ignore funny grimmer.
      Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
      The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network management protocol used on UDP/IP networks whereby a DHCP server dynamically assigns an IP address and other network configuration parameters to each device on a network so they can communicate with other IP networks. A DHCP server enables computers to request IP addresses and networking parameters automatically from the Internet service provider (ISP), reducing the need for a network administrator or a user to manually assign IP addresses to all network devices. In the absence of a DHCP server, a computer or other device on the network needs to be manually assigned an IP address, or to assign itself an APIPA address, which will not enable it to communicate outside its local subnet.
      Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Wikipedia
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

Here in my house I have three wireless routers covering my property. Here in the house I can access my main router with both wireless and Ethernet capability.
      For the other two wireless systems, I have a Ethernet cable that runs the length of my property and hooks in the other two wireless routers over Ethernet cable.
      One of the things I have learned is that it is easier if all the routers are in the same address block. What that means is that the first part of the address is the same for all three robbers and only the last part changes. Here is the schema I have used:
      main router and modem =   192.168.0.1
      first extension wireless =      192.168.0.27
      second extension wireless= 192.168.0.33
      In the above scheme only the main router can assign IP addresses to any device in the system using the thing they call the DHCP thing.  (See above.)

That means the addresses that are assigned to any wireless devices connected to the extension riders are actually assigned by the main router and not the extension routers.
      One of the concerns is how to hook the third router to the second router. On some routers there is a provision for a WAN as well as a LAN.  You may have to experiment a little bit to find out which one is best as the input for the second router.
      With all three routers using the same address block, I think you're not supposed to use the WAN input port. It should work on one of the other LAN ports.

I have read some documentation that says you can set all three routers to use the same station ID. For me that sounds much too confusing, so I made each station ID a little bit different. I would attend a 1, 2 or 3 to the name so I could readily tell them apart when I would be using some type of diagnostic tool to measure the field strength of the different wireless routers.

But I would use the same password for all three. There is no particular reason to have different passwords and it makes it easier for all the members of my household to use the same password for any of the wireless signals that are in my system.
      Now here is one of the critical points I found. In order to access these routers through the Ethernet cable, Windows has to see that my computer is assigned to an address that's in the same block as one of the routers. I have limited the number of addresses that can be assigned so as to avoid a conflict with the the static IP addresses of the other two routers.

So I have limited the number of addresses available to about 16 addresses starting at 192.168.0.2  going up.

Normally I don't try to access the extension routers using wireless. My main desktop computer is hooked to the  wired connection for the main router and from that point I can access the other two extension routers and set up the station ID and password for those routers prospectively using the static IP address I've given to those routers.

By the way, the first time you assigned a static IP address to a router it becomes rather awkward because you have to let the router reset itself and then of course you lose the connection you once had if the new address is different from the old address. That's the clumsy part. But I have grown used to it by doing it several times and realizing that for some reason my desktop computer is not in the same block and that's why I can't get to the device. Once I got that figured out that it became easy just to make sure all the routers were in the same block and that also means that only one router can be doing the dynamic  address assignment for clients that check-in through either Ethernet or wireless. Sometimes the router might give a different assignment to my main computer, but that doesn't make any difference as long as the assignment is still within the same block.

Of course, there are other things you can try. I have also done the DHCP thing by allowing extension routers to assign the IP addresses and you can get to work but it is a can of worms. It is just as hard to tell somebody how to do it as it is today actually do it. My solution is just to turn off the dynamic control thing and assigned static addresses to the range extension routers.

I hope this gives you a general outline of how it works for me.  :D

Last line of dictation.

John0904

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:15:49 PM »
        Here is my setup: Modem > main router > range extender router which is cabled to my computer.

Both routers gateway IP addresses are 192.168.0.1

I changed the LAN IP address of the range extender to 192.168.0.200
        The range extender is not accessible with 192.168.0.200

I think I tried changing the gateway IP of range extender to 192.168.1.1 and left its LAN IP the same but after it reboots I am locked out.
        I can access the main router regardless.

Before the range extended is connected to the main router, 192.168.0.1 works and I am able to access/configure it.
        After which, connection to the main router, I can no longer access it.

This whole networking with two routers is *censored* confusing.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »
        Both routers gateway IP addresses are 192.168.0.1
        You have to change that.
        Here are links on CH about this topic.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/router.htm

https://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=117041.0

https://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=144306.0

https://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=132394.0

Just now  have to leave for awhile. Maybe another member can help you.