Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU transplant  (Read 2642 times)

MrSniffles05

CPU transplant
« on: January 21, 2006, 05:39:52 PM »
Greetings, and thank you for taking your time to read this post. I've been assembling a new computer for the past 2 weeks, and I can't wait to get this beast up and running. But I was wondering... is it possible to take my AMD processor off of my HP's motherboard and place it on my MSI K8N Neo4/SLI motherboard without any problems? I would wait until I buy the new processor, but due to the price of the processor that I would like to have it may be awhile. Which also bringsup the question.... would placing the CPU I have now on they new motherboard affect the motherboard in any way when I acquire the new processor and install it? Any response would be appreciated. Thank you once again.  ;D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: CPU transplant
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »
     MrSniffles05........ Well it would seem to me that if your new mobo will support the existing cpu you have ....you shouldnt have any difficulties....
    But refer to your mobo manual ....it wil tell you .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 06:34:42 PM »
    We can't really advise as you didn't bother to mention what the exising procesor is.  ::) ::) ::)

MrSniffles05

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 11:35:51 PM »
    Thanks for the replies. But my main concern is still is it safe to take my existing processor, an AMD 3200+, and put it on my new mobo. I just don't want to f**k anything up and be stuck with a non working computer. Sorry if my post is just frustrating, but I'm a newbie at the whole personally built PC scene. Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 11:40:20 PM by MrSniffles05 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:52:52 AM »
       MrSniffles05........ Well as I see it you could tell us what the make and model of your mobo is and the exact model and details for your existing CPU and we could research it and give you a answer ....or you could look at your manual for the new motherboard and see if it will support the existing AMD processor you have ..... However , a quick answer is if the existing cpu is supported by your new mobo ....no damage will be done to your new board if you were to install the existing cpu......given that it is supported by the new motherboard and that's assuming you dont do any damage to either the processor pins or the processor socket on the new board.

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MrSniffles05

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 11:41:22 AM »
      Awesome... I shall take your advice and put it into action. The manual says that the new mobo supports up to AMD 4000+ FX55 or greater CPU, sooooo... I guess that means that my AMD 3200+ is good to go?
      « Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 01:36:17 PM by MrSniffles05 »

MrSniffles05

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 07:54:10 PM »
      So... I finally convinced myself to remove my cpu and place it on my new mobo in my new system. And due to yalls responses telling me everything should be fine everything is kicking *censored* like it should be. Thank you all very very much. My music sounds magnificent and its all running without a hitch. I couldn't be happier with my new setup. Thanks once again.... you haven't seen the last of my unfortunately though. ;) One more question, I'm thinking about changing my tower case, mind if I get some feedback on what everyone thinks of the Thermaltake towers?