Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windowws explorer  (Read 2832 times)

fado17b

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    windowws explorer
    « on: January 19, 2006, 03:30:13 PM »
    I was using  a Dell XPS 550 with Windows98 SE and went to eat and when I came back ,I cannot open any programs. When I hit on a desktop shortcut the screen freezes up. I hit ctrl,alt,del and the screen comes up and says Windows Explorer not responding. It will work in safe mode. I had Norton 2006 system works  installed and it shows no virus in safe mode. I just now uninstalled the Norton  System works but it did not help. This software has been installed  a while and I did not have any Problems.

GX1_Man

Re: windowws explorer
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 03:51:10 PM »
    How about installing and scanning the  p-rograms for malware? Let's see if we are dealing with a clean system.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

fado17b

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »
      I cannot check for anything because I can't get onto the internet because the  computer freezes up when you hit the programs. When you hilght theicon on desktop it flickers then freezes. I am on another computer now.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 08:16:04 AM »
      Try Programs-->Accessories-->Sytem tools-->System information.

In that program, use Tools-->System file checker.  It may be that some Windows files have been corrupted and need to be restored.  On a clean system (no viruses) which hasn't been abused (shut down mid-flow), the most likely cause is a hardware failure (motherboard, memory, processor or hard drive).

For a temporary fix, if the system file checker doesn't work, you may need a fresh Windows installation.  But if the cause is a hardware fault, the chances are high that this (or worse) will happen again.  Ensure your important files are backed up!
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

fado17b

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 12:57:14 PM »
        used file checker everything okay.How can I extract the explorer file from the widows 98 disk?It keeps telling me  (EXPLORER not responding.) everything else appears normal till I try to open a  program. The hourglass flickers then disapears and the computer is froze at that point.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
          « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 01:04:22 PM »
          GX
          How about installing and scanning the  p-rograms for malware? Let's see if we are dealing with a clean system.
          http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580
          Fado
          I cannot check for anything because I can't get onto the internet because the  computer freezes up when you hit the programs. When you hilght theicon on desktop it flickers then freezes. I am on another computer now.
          Fado
          It will work in safe mode. I had Norton 2006 system works  installed and it shows no virus in safe mode.

Then run them in Safe Mode.
          « Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 01:05:24 PM by peccavi »
          Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
            • Me
          « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 02:30:21 PM »
          used file checker everything okay.How can I extract the explorer file from the widows 98 disk?
          The problem is probably not a corrupted explorer.exe.  It's more likely a corrupted disk subsystem file.  Finding the culprit is such a big job that you may as well just reinstall Windows.  Bear in mind what I said above about an underlying hardware fault.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »
             fado17b......
            I had Norton 2006 system works  installed and it shows no virus in safe mode. I just now uninstalled the Norton  System works but it did not help. This software has been installed  a while and I did not have any Problems.
            If this application was working ok .......why did you remove it ?

dl65  ::)
            If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            « Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 02:37:56 PM »
            Because that kind of software is notorious for complicating diagnostic tests and introducing hard-to-detect intermittent faults?

Fed

• Sage
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »
              From the Help file.
              Safe mode helps you diagnose problems. If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or reverse the change.
              You could try starting in safe mode & disabling all the startup items in msconfig.
              Re-boot & re-enable them one at a time, re-booting each time to see if you can find what is causing it.

fado17b

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                « Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 07:39:21 AM »
                Thanks everyone, I found out the Comcast internet program was corrupted. Right now it works fine. Till Next time.