Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should high school students learn the Ruby language?  (Read 138384 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Should high school students learn the Ruby language?
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:48:22 PM »
Should high school students learn the Ruby language?

The answer is yes. But the idea of Ruby being a beginners language is new to me. But I have to confess, I have never used Ruby, so I would have no way of knowing.  :-[

I just found out that here on computer hope there is a good article about the Ruby language that was recently updated. And have also found out that high school students have been learning the Ruby language in the Silicon Valley.

Here is the link on computer hope.
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/ruby.htm

And here is the link about the high school students.
http://teachingkids.railsbridge.org/2009/08/15/teaching-ruby-to-high-school-girls.html

Do you use Ruby?
Would you recommend it as a beginners language?  ;D

Base10

Beginner
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Should high school students learn the Ruby language?
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 06:33:27 AM »
    Hey Geek,

I'd say when teaching a language they should show other languages that are quite closely related to each other.  Example JS Node and JavaScript.  It you have a good grasp of JavaScript then allegedly you can transfer this over to JS Node and it makes it easier. 

I have a book on JS Node and I can understand some of it because of my exposure to JS (not went through the whole book though).  Ruby (at a google search before posting this lol) Ruby comes in at number 8 on the hardest ones to learn. 

Although looking at just creating the beginner "Hello World" here are some examples of different languages at a glance in the below link.

https://www.techcareerbooster.com/blog/c-java-ruby-python-javascript-hello-world

I think if you have a good teacher you can learn anything, but also you have to have the willingness to learn.  Someone that has the patience and ability to communicate on all levels, like for even the thickest of brains (like me lol).  I remember asking one of my lecturer's to speak to me like I was a child on more than one occasion and they done it for me without a second thought.  The analogy they gave me helped me join the dots and I then understood what the meaning was.  That helped me understand the complex nature of what I was reading and the instructions I was given.  That person also said one thing.  There is no such thing as a stupid question.  I totally agree with that.  We all have different levels of learning.

If one person in a class asked a question.  Lecturer says that's a stupid question (bad response from the lecturer).  How many other people in the same class had the same question but never had the guts to ask it because they though they might sound silly, then how does that affect the whole class going forward.  That obviously doesn't just relate to a computer language class.

So I think any programming language is good to learn, it's who the teacher is in my humble opinion.

On one class I took for VB our lecturer said well you can just read it and go through the book and it will come to you.  Not good.  We were all helping each other to learn as the lecturer really couldn't be bothered.  They were a really nice person to talk to though, but for that class they just couldn't be bothered doing any real teaching.

Thankfully we all banded together as a group and helped each other out and all managed to pass the final exam.

Cheers :)