Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 doesn't need antivirus? True?  (Read 33651 times)

doer

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Windows 10 doesn't need antivirus? True?
    « on: February 28, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
     :o
    I'm going to install soon Win 10 on my machine. A few days ago I watched some video about Win 10 on YT.
    Some guy there mentioned that installation of AV program on OS Win 10 is needless. That Win 10 is so good and secured, moreover, this OS has implemented own AV program that is sufficient enough for security of our computers. And stuff like that.

It's hard to believe in that for me. That's why I'm writing this post here.
    I'm curious what you guys are going to say about this  :D Crap?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows 10 doesn't need antivirus? True?
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:09:18 PM »
    Windows Defender is part of Windows 10 and it is a good AV solution. There are better 3rd party AV's (mostly not for free), but as long as you practice smart computing Defender should be fine.

MichaelNyby

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Windows 10 doesn't need antivirus? True?
      « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »
      Actually, there is one word that stands out in your post that is very important — "our" — and that is important because of the question that arises about you having some sort of internal net where different folks are using computers on that internal net.

Point is that the more people you have using a bunch of computers the easier it is to have somebody make a mistake and accidentally invite some bad bug into your internal net and that means you might want a higher grade of protection.

So I think for anyone to give you a good answer the information about your use of "our" could be useful, BUT I wouldn't be so quick to post information out here in public because that is also a flaw in the area of maintaining security.

But I can sometimes get seriously paranoid about security, and there might be some who will state that I am being too paranoid about the idea you should PM a tech person you think you can trust here on this site, or another site, and do your discussion in that environment where only you and that tech person you have decided to trust can figure things out.

By the way, the — "And stuff like that." — would also have a security professional asking what stuff?

But I am again going to state that with security all sorts of little details posted in public can be a problem if a really skillful bad person is paying attention to what you post.  There might be a good professional here in this CompHop Community that wouldn't mind helping you through a private means here or elsewhere.

Not me, by the way.  I am not reliable.  I am a cancer patient and my medical situation can get very iffy and I might disappear from the Net for days on end because something in the chemotherapy went haywire.