Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer speakers  (Read 13238 times)

rfeifer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    computer speakers
    « on: April 20, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »
    I have external compaq speakers that I am trying to get to work in an e-machines desktop computer. All I get is humming from the speakers. I have two other sets of speakers that work just fine. I don't know why the compaq ones don't work. Any suggestions?

manotech

Starter

• Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: computer speakers
    « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:10:00 AM »
    First of all, if you have speakers that work why not use them instead of the compaq speakers?

As far as your problem is concerned, logic suggests that the problem is not with your computer as other speakers work. If you are getting humming from the compaq speakers then the connection to the audio port is there but the connection itself is faulty. In most cases this is due to overuse of the speaker jack-plug. Repeated pushing in and pulling out weakens the connections inside the plug and they break. In some cases you can (carefully) dismantle the plug and if you are ok with a soldering iron you can repair it. Alternatively you can attach a new audio cable to your speaker (wiring it in to the back of the speaker). Both of these solutions are prone to error, so my advice is to buy some new speakers and refrain from overuse of the jack-plug

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: computer speakers
    « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 11:09:08 AM »
    It could also be that the compaq speakers have a slightly different plug that is not compatible with your PC's jack.  Compaq may have done something like this to make it so their speakers only work with their computer systems.