Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Re: Is WEP Secure?  (Read 31232 times)

TechGeek

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Guide to WiFi Optimization
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Is WEP Secure?
« on: May 02, 2020, 03:22:27 PM »
Wanted to pitch in to share that WPA3 has began to roll out! Some older routers are receiving software updates that allow WPA3 to be enabled (for example, Eero users will see WPA3 settings in the "Eero Labs" portion of their apps, and Google WiFi users will see settings within the Google Home app. (If you don't see "WiFi" in the Google Home app, the workaround is to unpair one of your WiFi points, then set-it up using the Google Home app rather than within the Google WiFi app.) Newer consumer devices, such as iPhones on iOS 13 and MacBooks on the latest OS are already capable of connecting to WPA3 networks.

A lot of the current WPA3 implementations are actually implemented as WPA3 / 2 transition mode, which is the reason you see scary-sounding articles like, "Serious flaws leave WPA3 vulnerable to hacks that steal Wi-Fi passwords". As more consumer devices become compatible with WPA3, we'll be able to drop the transition mode and encrypt our networks exclusively with WPA3.

I've been testing this for a few months, and there's surprisingly very few devices out there that aren't compatible. Even old-school wireless printers and cheap WiFi enabled lightbulbs and smart switches work flawlessly with WPA3 transition mode.

Oddly enough, the Xbox One X does not seem to support WPA3 transition mode at this time, but I wonder if a software update could fix that.
I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Is WEP Secure?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »
Please stop posting in the FAQ section...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "