Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: chkdsk starts every time I boot my desktop  (Read 10499 times)

kemperhills

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    chkdsk starts every time I boot my desktop
    « on: May 10, 2020, 09:23:03 PM »
    Hi, new here and my first post.  Hope you can help me with my problem.

I have and Acer Aspire x1300 desktop that has W7 Pro x64 installed on one partition.  On a second partition I have W10 Pro  v. 1909 installed.  The problem didn't show up until I installed W10 on the second partition.

When I boot my desktop, after the BIOS screen chkdsk starts every time.  I have allowed chkdsk to run completely a couple of times but it still starts when I boot the desktop. Does anyone here have any idea how to solve this problem. 

I wouldn't be considered a computer expert, but I can repair them, install OS's, build computers, etc.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: chkdsk starts every time I boot my desktop
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 05:22:12 AM »
    What you see is autocheck running because it detects a dirty bit. Unfortunately, autocheck does not run with any switches. Open a command prompt and type:

chkdsk c: /r

You will be told the drive is locked because it is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes and reboot. Allow checkdisk to run to completion - it may take a while.

kemperhills

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »
      Thanks Allan.  That seems to have solved the problem.  If it comes back I will let you know.  Thanks again.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »
      You're very welcome.