Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop upgrade confusion  (Read 6584 times)

reaper_tbs

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Google
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Laptop upgrade confusion
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:41:51 AM »
Hey all, been a while, hope all is well here!

Just a few quick queries -

I'm in the process of looking at parts to upgrade my Alienware 15 R2.

Also - inb4 "ew, get a different laptop", it was surprisingly cheap.

1.) It was advertised as having 16gb RAM, and I'm hoping to upgrade from the 12gb it inexplicably came with, and i'm 90% sure it can support up to 32gb DDR4 at 2133, however - I'm having trouble finding anything reasonably priced at 2133. Prices appear to be less than half for a step or two up in speed. Am I that out of the loop that there's been some horrific shortage of 2133 I'm not aware of? Also, is there any guarantee this is the max capacity/speed it supports? (Edit: I have checked Dell's official specs writeups, but they conflict with various testimonies from friends, and Dell's support hotline  ??? )

2.) I'm hoping to add a second M.2 SSD, and I'm starting to doubt whether i'll actually be able to utilise two 1Tb drives in the two available M.2 slots. My primary concern here is the prospect of conflicts when the laptop attempts to identify the newly installed drives, since I've had this issue close to a decade ago when I started attempting to use SATA SSDs in my desktop, not knowing windows would wreak its usual havoc. I assume compatibility is less of an issue these days, but again - I've been out of the loop for many a year at this point

Anyway, any and all advice is appreciated!

Cheers, folks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:14:59 AM by reaper_tbs »
Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.