Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD Drive problem... sort of  (Read 3963 times)

Cerri

CD Drive problem... sort of
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:41:20 AM »
Lately my computer has been acting up and I'm having problems with the CD drive. Now, I can play music CD's as well as DVD's and games which I installed earlier that run off the CD rom also work. The problem is that when I try to install new programs off a CD it doesn't work. I've tried several different programs from several different companies and none work.
At first the Set up program would open up and then suddenly close a few minutes later for no reason. Now however, I can't get the set up program to open at all.
Finally, I -can- install some programs but only if they're downloaded off the internet (games updates etc.). So I know that it has something to do with the CD drive.... somehow. I really have no clue what's happening  ???

If anyone has any insights or could help, it would really be appreciated!

Raptor

Re: CD Drive problem... sort of
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 10:54:29 AM »
Have you installed another CD-ROM drive yet to see if the problem persists? It could be that your CD-ROM lense needs to be cleansed.

You should also check to see if all the cables are properly connected.

You said 'some' programs from the Internet and not 'all', does this mean you also have difficulty installing programs in general?

Cerri

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 11:01:50 AM »
I havent' tried to install a new drive.. I'd have to buy one and at this point I'd rather not spend the money if I can avoid it.

Everything seems to be hooked up correctly. I haven't been tampering with that aspect of it.

As for other programs what I really mean is anything that I download installs properly. It's only when the program is on a CD that I can't get it to work.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:16:20 AM »
Have you contacted technical support?

I suggest you contact the manufacturer of the CD-ROM drive.

johnwill

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 03:31:41 PM »
You may be able to find someone with an old CD in their closet.  I personally have a box of old CD drives, six or severn of them.  They've all been replaced with CD-RW drives, so they're just closet dust catchers.  I'm sure I'm not the only person so blessed. :)

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 04:44:53 PM »
quite a few here as well as ram cpu psu cases etc..have you tried firmware?or right clicking on the d icon explore anything?..why your explorer may have a problem and not the drive?what operating system have you got...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 04:45:34 PM by merlin_2 »