Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help me find out what is cutting off and slowing down my internet on a sp  (Read 10428 times)

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Device: Self-built Desktop No Router Modem: CGM4140COM by Technicolor PSU: Corsair AX1200 1200W Not sure how to find my Network card

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202) System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. System Model: X58A-UD7 BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG (type: BIOS) Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz Memory: 12288MB RAM Available OS Memory: 12286MB RAM Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

If any other information is needed, please let me know!

Hi there!

I am seeking help for a problem that has started recently for me, I have a steamable link example of it below

https://streamable.com/q2b17e

The problem is that the internet keeps cutting off (I can not find consistently in its timing), it could be in 2-5 minutes or 40 minutes, either way I can not use the internet on my desktop (It does not happen on my other devices) for a long period of time without having to disconnect from the internet & reconnecting or restarting my PC (Sometimes reconnecting does not do the trick), this would grant me normal fast internet access again temporarily and I am not sure what restarting the PC does to the network that allows this, I would like help in figuring this out

If it doesn't cut out, it feels like it is struggling to connect as you can see in the streamable link

I feel like this happened because I messed with my firewall (Vipre Advanced Security)

Recently I have been cleaning up and going over all my computer's settings, when I opened my antivirus (Vipre Advanced Security), I defaulted the firewall so it can learn from the start again and I been seeing problems ever since, now even if I turn off the firewall, the problem persists

Thank you for reading and appreciate any help I can get!

TechGeek

Intermediate
    • Guide to WiFi Optimization
  • Experience: Expert
When your connection hangs, open up Command Prompt and see if you can ping google.com to see what happens. Is the ping going through? How's the latency?

If you tracert google.com, is there any particular point where your connection drops off / where latency spikes?

If rebooting your PC fixes your network, this indicates that there's not an issue with your modem, that it's purely a software issue with your PC. If Chrome is hanging, does Firefox or Internet Explorer work?
I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
I can barely get internet on my desktop now and forced to used my laptop

Yes, when Firefox hangs, so does Microsoft Edge

Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting allows the network to work for a bit too

I'll try the tracert and ping when it happens again

TechGeek

Intermediate
    • Guide to WiFi Optimization
  • Experience: Expert
You mentioned that you think it's because of Vipre - maybe you could try completely uninstalling it the next time your computer hangs, just to see what happens?

You could also create a new user account on the computer. When the internet begins to hang, you could log into the other account to see if it's hanging there as well.

It's not convenient, but it would help rule our what the issue is. Based on everything you've said so far, it's sounding like it's something software-specific on your computer, but it'll be tricky to diagnose what.
I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
https://imgur.com/a/V4FV6mr

I tried ping and tracert, it acted like there was no internet connected, which I assume it did

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
You mentioned that you think it's because of Vipre - maybe you could try completely uninstalling it the next time your computer hangs, just to see what happens?

You could also create a new user account on the computer. When the internet begins to hang, you could log into the other account to see if it's hanging there as well.

It's not convenient, but it would help rule our what the issue is. Based on everything you've said so far, it's sounding like it's something software-specific on your computer, but it'll be tricky to diagnose what.

Okay, maybe rebooting in safe mode would help too, I been going over all my computer settings and it could really be anything, I would like to figure out what software is causing it

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
I want to update that Network Reset did the trick, I am not sure which part exactly but would love to find out for my knowledge, now my internet on my desktop is normal and I can be productive again!