Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A very persistent virus  (Read 8779 times)

Ran_ISR

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    A very persistent virus
    « on: June 06, 2020, 12:46:43 PM »
    Hi everyone!

I almost lost all hope so I came here.. Please help me.

Recently I encountered a deadly and very persistent virus. It disabled my operating system (Windows 10) almost completely, no matter what I did (including in safe mode and with no internet), while opening countless times Microsoft's support/help page in my internet browsers.  I succeeded (barely..) to reinstall Windows (without formatting the drive), but Windows couldn't launch..

Then, after doing a low level format to both my main drive and my SSD drive, I tried to install Windows - both Windows 10 and Windows 7, but no matter what I did, Windows Setup stop responding (can't click or type anything) after a while.

Moreover, my Bios was also infected! When I opened it, the BIOS "help" window opened many times (similar to what happened in Windows) and I needed to close it again and again. So I downloaded an updated Bios in a different PC and used a flash drive to update the Bios (which solved this specific problem).

After that I also tried to remove the virus by doing a factory reset to my BIOS (I short the CMOS jumper and as well as removed the battery and returned it after a minute).

All that still didn't work... The virus is still there making Windows (10 and 7) setup non responsive.

I also ran Kaspersky Rescue Disk. No threats were detected. Before the scan it could only find "clock skew" (since I did factory reset to my BIOS). After the scan was completed the Kaspersky's interface stop responding, exactly as in any other interfaces (Windows 7/10 setup and Windows itself before I did the format). What happens is that after a while I can move the mouse but not click on anything, and most of the times the keyboard also stop doing anything as well. Meanwhile, the hard disk and the SSD drive are both disconnected, as well as the internet, so the problem is probably with the BIOS..

One last thing - I managed to backup some of my data before doing the format. Using a flash drive I transferred my data to my laptop. I fear it might got this infection as well. It hasn't shown the same symptoms yet, but sometimes it shows a strange error that it can't recognize a usb connection (while nothing is connected).

Clearly the virus did some heavy damage.  I'll be happy if you can help me deal with this very unfortunate situation..

My spec:

Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H LGA 1150
    Intel Core i5 4690 3.5 Ghz
    G. Skill Ares 2X4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz PC3-12800 Mhz
    EVGA GTX750Ti Superclocked 2GB GDDR5
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair Force LS 120 GB SSD

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: A very persistent virus
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »

This is not what one would expect from a Virus and there isn't any virus known which works to this level. The computer has a hardware fault, possibly an incorrect setting in the Bios or bad ram or a failing power supply.
    If Alan agrees can you transfer this post to Hardware or Windows 10 section 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: A very persistent virus
    « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 08:06:08 PM »
    It sounds to me like the F1 key is stuck on the keyboard. That would certainly explain constantly opening Microsoft's support/help page as well as the BIOS displaying it's help interface. The other issues could be the result of the software being flooded with F1 key inputs.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.