Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can you save all your bookmarks online in the cloud instead of on your computer?  (Read 35855 times)

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    My browser is extremely slow and laggy.  I have deleted all the temp files and cookies and it's still slow.  I have hundreds of bookmarks and I wondered if that could slow it down.  If you ask that question on google most people say that it does not slow down your computer or browser.  However, one guy said it does slow it down.  He said he has hundreds of bookmarks and every so often he exports them as an html file and deletes them all from his browser - and every time he does that it speeds up his browser quite a bit. 

I am wondering if there is some way to save your bookmarks online in the cloud instead of in your browser's bookmark folder.  If you could save them on a website and you could always stay logged into that website, then you could put a link to your online bookmarks on your bookmarks toolbar.  So if you just click the bookmarks button on your toolbar it will take you to that website where it shows all your bookmarks in your browser. 

I know there are services that allow you to upload all your bookmarks and sync them with all your browsers, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I don't want them in my browser or on my computer slowing down my browser.  I just want to access them online from my browser.  Is this possible with any of these services?  Does anybody know?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    What browser ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

I'm not sure why it matters what browser, but I usually use firefox, sometimes chrome. 

Pratchett

Rookie

Safari and iCloud will sync your book marks. But I have not used that on a PC. The only way your browser can slow down is if it is trying to DNS cache each book mark. A lot of browsers do this in the background so when you click the link it's quicker to respond. If you regularly clear your browsing history you may notice it will be slower. Some browsers will also go off to re-find the favicons so they have pretty icons associated with your bookmarks. I know in Safari you can turn this feature off. The iphone has a similar feature call quick website search and Safari suggestions. Turn them off to avoid preloading