Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Separate Router Networks Not Equal  (Read 22581 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Separate Router Networks Not Equal
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:01:45 AM »
My router allows for multiple SSIDs - 2.4 and 5 versions + guest versions of each.

I use the 5 for my phone and PC, but my DVD player and stereo receiver only connect to the 2.4.

Occasionally, my 2.4 won't be able to access the internet, but the 5 will. So I can't Netflix or listen to XPN - although my PC is cooking along.

Does this make any sense? (I've tried changing channels in the router, to no avail.)

Thanks
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Separate Router Networks Not Equal
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 05:39:05 PM »
I had a router before have issues like this and replacing the router fixed the issue. My router was also however flashed with DD-WRT and curious if you ran into the same bug that i had with DD-WRT that would cause the 2.4Ghz band to act up but the 5Ghz band was fine.

For a short while I had a wall timer that would cycle the power once a day when sleeping that it seemed like after a reboot the router would work good for a while but it would often act up on the 2.4G band. I finally was like lets try a new router because this one is 5 years old anyways and it might be a hardware failure where overtime it builds like a memory leak or something.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »
So this is interesting.

Different network, different router, different city and state. Similar problem.

My Cable network/modem - 2.4 and 5 Ghz are fine.

My new fiber/Cat-5 network - with a new router - 5G connects fine, 2.4 connects with no internet. I can open the router on the 2.4 and print, but I can't connect to the world.

Not sure what you mean by DD-WRT.

(A hard reboot of that other router seemed to do the trick. Like I said, that was a different network in a different city.... Ugh.)
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 10:33:35 PM »
Actually I'll go one weirder. It's only my PC that can't connect to the Net on the 2.4 network. My phone and teevee connect just fine, thank you very much.

So to summarize.

My PC won't connect to the internet over a 2.4Ghz gigabit fiber network.
My phone and TV will connect to the net on the 2.4Ghz gigabit fiber network.
All devices will connect to the net on the 5Ghz gigabit fiber network (same router).
All devices will connect to the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz cable modem network (different router, obviously).

My PC does connect to the router interface (192.168.0.1) and printer over the 2.4Ghz gig fiber network.

I have rebooted everything.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
https://dd-wrt.com/

And what wireless adapter does the PC have that its just the PC that has an issue with the 2.4 band?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 07:57:05 PM »
2.4ghz wireless has 11 channels in USA,Canada has 12 and the rest of the world 14 channels. This doesn't present a problem until you have say a wireless adapter which will only do the first 11 channels and your routers are able to go to channels up to 14. So there is 3 channels you can't connect on.

First check the specs of the wireless adapter in the computer, then check from a 5 Ghz connection if the 2.4 ghz is on auto and what channels it is using if you can set a channel range then make it for the channels the wireless adapter supports. Sometimes it just a matter of selecting your region on both the router and wireless adapter.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
Sorry, Dave, I should have been more clear about my confusion. I Googled "DD-WRT" and got as far as "Unix-based open source firmware" and my eyes rolled back into my skull.... I haven't installed any hacks or tried to unlock/break my router - it's the firmware that came with it.

The fiber network (where the 5 works and the 2.4 doesn't, on my PC only) is a TPLink AC1750 router. (Which I may just replace).
The Cable network (where both 5 and 2.4 work) is a Netgear AC1900.

If I understand your question about "what wireless adapter" I have... It's a Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller. (And, yes, the most up-to-date drivers seem to be installed).

As far as I can tell, Lisa_maree, the 2.4 is always broadcasting on Channel 11.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
Bump.

To recap:

Two wireless routers in the apartment, one is Cable, one is Fiber. Both are broadcasting 2.4 and 5.

My PC does not connect to the internet on the 2.4 network on the Fiber router.
  • My iPad, my Android phone, and my wife's PC fully connect to both networks on the fiber router.
  • My PC fully connects to the internet on the 5 network on the fiber router.
  • All devices fully connect to both bandwidths on Cable router, and through to the internet.
  • When I am connected to the 2.4 network on the fiber network, I can ping my router through the browser.
  • My printer is on the 2.4 fiber network. When my PC is connected to the 2.4 fiber network, I can still print.
    (Even though I can't connect to the internet)
    Nor can I see the printer's "page" through a browser
  • All of my channels are set to automatic; the fiber 2.4 is currently on channel 1.
The router on the fiber network is a new TP Link AC 1750. It's a rental, but I'm about to upgrade the 1900. When I'm allowed to take everything offline for a few hours!

In the meantime, could use some ideas. No flashing of mods on the router.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »
New Data, Still Weird

Put in a new router - it broadcasts the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 connections.

When I'm in the room with the router, my PC connected fine. I sat at my desk down the hall, it stayed connected. Great. Problem Solved!

Not so fast.

When I try to log back on to the network, I get the same condition as before - I connect to the router, but no internet.

When I log into the router page, I see that I've automatically connected to the 2.4 network, not its 5 version.
I can log in to the guest 2.4 network and see the internet (it's what I'm using to post). I can log into the guest 5 network and see the internet.

All other devices can connect through everything just fine.

It's just my PC, when it connects to this SSID network, regardless of the router, does not see the internet.
I have deleted the network profile by using both:
Code: [Select]
netsh wlan delete profile name="WiFi network name"and
Code: [Select]
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\ in regedit, and tried reconnecting. Same problem.