Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stop MS Outlook 2003 'read receipt'  (Read 5138 times)

AJ

Stop MS Outlook 2003 'read receipt'
« on: January 30, 2006, 03:23:40 PM »
Does anyone know if I can open/view an e-mail sent to me which has 'request a read receipt for this message' set on it, without the receipt being sent.

Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Stop MS Outlook 2003 'read receipt'
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 03:31:25 PM »
    AJ......... If the mail is addressed to you than why not let the read receipt be sent ........  But to answer your question ......yes I believe there is a way to do that........  I am just a bit reluctant to show you how to do it .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

AJ

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 04:21:31 PM »
    It's just about gaining me time; I get inundated with e-mails at work which are frequently followed by immediate phone calls when I open a mail with 'Read Receipt'.  

All I'd like to do is have some time to digest the mail, then send the receipt.  :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 05:17:42 PM »
    How about using the preview pane so you can see it before you officially "read" it?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 05:22:29 PM »
       AJ.... In that case ...you might try the following ........ In Outlook .......hilight the un-opened Email ( dont open it as that triggers the auto send receipt) ......then right click on the un-opened Email and select properties ......when the properties box opens .....click the details tab ....and then click  message source ......now you can view the text portion of the Email without opening it or sending a receipt .

Hope this helps

AJ

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 06:22:26 PM »
      Thanks.

dl65

When I right-click on an unread e-mail, these are the options I get :

There is no 'Properties' option as you can see (Outlook 2003).

GX1_Man

----   'How about using the preview pane so you can see it before you officially "read" it? '  

If you mean the 'Reading Pane', I've tried that and the second you higlight an un-read mail it sends a 'Read Receipt'

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 06:58:28 PM »
         AJ.....OOOps sorry about that .......right church wrong pew.........Try this open Outlook..... click tools/options /Email options/tracking options ....then check ......never send a receipt .

That should do it .....

AJ

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »
        Ok, I'll try that thanks.  

Based on the dialog box below, I'm not sure that it will stop 'return receipts' when e-mails are sent to me from within my company (ie not via 'Internet Mail Accounts',  if I understand that term correctly)  :

« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 07:23:06 PM by AJ »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 07:30:12 PM »
          AJ...... How does your company Email work ...does it use the internet or not ..... .If it doesnt ...what Email program does it use ?

AJ

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 03:33:17 AM »
          Well I don't think our internal e-mail (employee to employee) is routed via the Internet or the whole firm (many offices across the country) would be dependant on the Internet link.  

I think that if your name is in the Exchange/Outlook address book it routes it over the internal WAN, if your name isn't in the address book it routes it to the Internet.

I think the ‘Use this option to decide how to respond to requests for read receipts. Only applies to Internet Mail accounts’ in Outlook 2003 may be designed to stop you inadvertently returning a receipt to spammers , thereby confirming that your mail address is valid.

I'll do some testing at work that's the only way to be sure that these ideas work, thanks for all your help folks.  :)
          « Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 03:40:13 AM by AJ »