Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wifi extender causing problem  (Read 8474 times)

crosspostln

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    wifi extender causing problem
    « on: August 21, 2020, 03:46:42 PM »
    My computer is in my shop and is hardwired to internet. Avg speed is 20-25mbps. Wanted wifi in the shop so I installed a wifi extender on the line, then plugged the extender into my computer. My speed drops to less than half. When I unplug the extender and plug the hard wire back into my computer the speed goes back to 20-25mbps. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the wifi extender? Have checked it multiple times over several days at different times. Always the same result.

martyscott89

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: wifi extender causing problem
      « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 07:43:31 AM »
      I had the same issue, and for some reason I think these extenders just sort of consume part of your connection in some cases.

The only luck I've had with minimizing this was using a ubiquitin access point, which didn't seem to take much speed when I tested it.

I honestly have no idea why extenders tend to slow the speed, maybe they are just thinning the signal somehow - you'll have to get one of the more techsavvy guys on here to answer that one.

I ended up upgrading my speed eventually which of course made the problem less of a hassle, but my access points still tend to slow the speed a bit below what it should be.

Pratchett

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »
        Whats the model number of your extender? Why is your wired computer connected to the extender? Can it not be wired direct to the incoming feed then just use the extender for the shop wi-fi. Depending on your ISP provider some offer free/discounted extenders that are preconfigured.   

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 11:15:03 PM »
        Hi

If the extender is connecting to you modem via wireless then yes it will be much slower than a computer connected direct to the modem. In this configuration the extender has to receive a packet of data and then resend it, so is about 1/2 the speed.
        If you are giving public access to your network or connecting customers computers you should use the modems guest network. This isolates their computers from your network, they can only access the internet not the local network. This gives a level of protection from virus's and someone accessing your shop computers.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan