Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connected to wifi, but no internet. Message: No Internet, open  (Read 8214 times)

breqfast

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    HP stream laptop
    Windows 10
    processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R)
    system type: 64-but oper syst & x64 based processor

I don't know if that is relevant info about my laptop but if any other info is needed I'll be happy to add to it.

My laptop stopped will connect to all wifi, but it is a 50/50 chance of it connecting to the internet. I don't know if this is my laptop itself, because it didn't used to have this problem, but whenever my laptop has this issue, my phone does too. Although, other people's devices can connect.

I've done everything I thought I could do to fix this according to this steps on this website: https://www.techilife.com/no-internet-connected-wifi/

Other answers cited the same solutions. Everything appeared normal. Troubleshooting found no problems, only suggesting to reset my connections as an admin, which I did again. Flushing my dns did nothing. The IP assignment is automatic. Everything that should be automatic is automatic as far as I could tell when looking at the properties the website told me to check.

I didn't move to a rural area with dodgy internet in general.
    Is this a mystery?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Connected to wifi, but no internet. Message: No Internet, open
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:49:49 AM »
    When you look at IPCONIG/ALL does it show a 169.x.x.x address or are you getting a 192.x.x.x address from the wireless routers DHCP?

At command shell you can enter IPCONFIG/ALL and it will show info for wired and wireless adapters. Next time the internet isnt working do this and see if you still have the 192.x.x.x assignment or if its onto a 169.x.x.x IP address.

More info here as to why the 169.x.x.x if this is whats happening to you. It checks for DHCP every 5 minutes, but during that 5 minutes you wont have internet, and if it tries again and fails its then 10 minutes without it and so on.

https://answersby.com/dys/dyfpost/issue--169xxx--apipa-ip-address-problems

*Note: Once it has gotten an IP Address from the router though it should hold onto this 192.x.x.x IP address even if wireless connecting is weak, and then it would reconnect when signal strength permits.

You may find that you will need to get a 2nd router or relocate the wireless router to be closer to where you commonly use your computer. If the wireless is the next door neighbor, if the neighbor is cool with you sharing their connection maybe they can add a router or relocate the router at their home so that it casts a stronger signal to your home etc.

Hackoo

Hopeful
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Connected to wifi, but no internet. Message: No Internet, open
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 04:02:54 AM »
    You can try to create a shortcut with this vbscript for fixing internet connection ==> Network_Diagnostics.vbs
    Code: [Select]
    Option Explicit
    ' Vbscript Created by Hackoo on 09/06/2020 @16:00
    ' Updated on 10/06/2020 for testing the Hotkey after creating the shortcut on the desktop
    Dim Title : Title = "Shortcut Creator for Network Diagnostics by Hackoo 2020"
    ' We call the subroutine Create_Shortcut in order to create it on the desktop
    Call Create_Shortcut(_
    "NetworkDiagnostics",_
    "%SystemRoot%\system32\msdt.exe",_
    "-skip TRUE -path %Windir%\diagnostics\system\networking -ep NetworkDiagnosticsPNI",_
    "%SystemRoot%\system32\msdt.exe,0",_
    "Network Diagnostics to fix problems",_
    "CTRL+ALT+D"_
    )
     ' Showing a Message Box with three languages : English,French and Arabic
    MsgBox "The shortcut was created successfully on your desktop !" & vbCrlf &_
    "Le raccourci a été créé avec succès sur votre bureau !" & vbcrlf &_
    "تم إنشاء الاختصار بنجاح على سطح المكتب الخاص بك !",vbInformation,Title
    '-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Just for testing the Hotkey after creating the shortcut on the desktop :
    ' To send keyboard characters that are comprised of a regular keystroke in combination with a SHIFT, CTRL, or ALT,
    ' create a compound string argument that represents the keystroke combination.
    ' You do this by preceding the regular keystroke with one or more of the following special characters :
    ' Key   ===> Special Character
    ' SHIFT ===> +
    ' CTRL ===> ^
    ' ALT  ===> %
    ' For further reading about sendkeys : https://www.vbsedit.com/html/4b032417-ebda-4d30-88a4-2b56c24affdd.asp
    CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Sendkeys "^%{d}"
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sub Create_Shortcut(ShortcutName,TargetPath,Arguments,IconLocation,Description,HotKey)
    Dim objShell,DesktopPath,objShortCut
    Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    DesktopPath = objShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
    Set objShortCut = objShell.CreateShortcut(DesktopPath & "\" & ShortcutName & ".lnk")
    objShortCut.TargetPath = chr(34) & TargetPath & chr(34)
    objShortCut.Arguments = Arguments
    ObjShortCut.IconLocation = IconLocation
    ObjShortCut.Description = Description
    ObjShortCut.HotKey= HotKey
    objShortCut.Save
    End Sub
    '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I posted it before here ==> Laptop disconnects frequently from WiFi