Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstalled XP - Can't Connect To Internet  (Read 10528 times)

oppie2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Reinstalled XP - Can't Connect To Internet
    « on: August 27, 2020, 03:55:45 AM »
       I have a lot of old but top of the line software and equipment which doesn't run well enough to use (or doesn't run at all) in newer operating systems. I got an old custom built HP Compaq 8100 with XP sp 3 which surprised me as it's quite a good machine. I reinstalled the XP sp3 operating system which runs really well and I'm having fun using software/equipment I haven't been able to use in a long time but I ran into a problem ... be it WiFi or Ethernet cable, I cannot connect to the internet. I did a connections diagnostic under "tools". It said it couldn't detect the "network adapters" ... they are listed under "hidden devices" in the device manager (should they be listed there?) and there are no exclamation points or question marks. When I ran the connections diagnostic a second time, I got a dialog box saying "Windows cannot detect any wired or wireless network cards installed on your machine" and something about downloading software and drivers. I googled it and it seems to be a frequent problem when one re-installs XP. Most spoke of updating XP sp 3 drivers but when I look at the downloads, I was totally lost ... I'm pretty good with graphics but this techy stuff is a different story (just reinstalling XP was, for me, a serious accomplishment LOL!). Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction with this - I'm stumped. While I have other newer computers to go online with, there are times when I need to get this thing on line and just can't. Thank you so very much.

Pratchett

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Reinstalled XP - Can't Connect To Internet
      « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 10:34:00 AM »
      This will 100% be caused by the missing network drivers, I've not used xp for many many years but do recall using websites that will scan your machine and report which drivers are missing. That's not going to work in your case but after a quick google I found this: https://www.driveridentifier.com I have not used it myself so cannot say if they are any good, but I am sure it will offer you some guidance and the right direction to start looking. Visit the page called "How it works" to see the video guide

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:24:28 PM »
      Here is a link to the drivers for your computer running Windows XP 32 Bit change to  64 bit if this is the version you are running.

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-8100-elite-small-form-factor-pc/4098436

There is 2 Ethernet drivers and 1 wireless driver . Only 1 of the Ethernet drivers is correct. If the computer still has the asset tag number you can search for the correct drivers using that.
      You need to install the chip set driver first.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

oppie2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 01:14:46 PM »
        My thanks to both of you! I'll download the drivers and let you know how I made out. Thanks again.

oppie2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 04:00:26 AM »
          @Lisa_maree  Well, it's been an eventful night! While I was installing software on that old HP, I briefly smelled something electrical when something at the back of the optical drive literally burst into flames! (I've never seen that happen before). So much for that computer but since they're old machines, I had a second machine just in case - an old Lenovo 3000 J Series which I know was used until recently to keep financial records. Like the HP, the Lenovo's hard drive was a rather serious mess so I reinstalled windows xp pro and it's running just fine but now has the same internet connection problem as the HP (which is only logical as I used the same installation disc). I did, however, observe something which I thought I should mention:
             In the device manager under "hidden devices" was a list of the "network adapters" - they had no exclamation points or question marks. But directly under the list of network adapters (again, in "hidden devices") was a list of five devices in bold yellow with exclamation points - I'll list those below but I couldn't help but notice #2 on that list, i.e. "Ethernet Controller" - I know I'll never connect to the internet without this. I right clicked on it and tried to reinstall it but the installation wizard (or whatever it's called) searched and said there was no ethernet contoller in the machine. I don't know about the other four items listed under "other devices" but I do know that the ethernet controller should be listed under "all programs" in the start menu but it just isn't there. If I read certain articles correctly, there should be a "RealTek ethernet controller" there but it's missing. I did the same with the other four "other devices" and they're all missing so I thought I'd mention this before searching Lenovo for the previously mentioned drivers. Below is a list of those five "other devices" that are missing. If you would be so kind, would you give me your thoughts on this? I only discovered this after reading some articles but I really don't want to do anything on my own because I'm seriously out of my element here. My apologies for the length of this post - couldn't figure out how else to phrase all this. Here is a list of the five "other devices" which the installer says is missing:
          1. Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
          2. Ethernet Controller
          3. PCI Simple Communications Controller
          4. SM Bus Controller
          5. Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
          All my old software and equipment are running just fine and I'm having fun with it. If I  must, I can use this even without internet access as I have other computers and can use discs or flash drives to download from one and upload to this one but I'd like to be able to connect to the internet if at all possible.  I do thank you for your time and patience, Lisa_maree !!

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 04:05:18 PM »
          Hi

You need the SM Bus Controller driver installed before the others will install. A check on Lenovo doesn't turn up any drivers for the 3000 j series drivers for xp.

So you will need to get them from VIA or use another motherboard drivers the chipset is VIA K8M800
          You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
          ― John Bunyan

oppie2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 07:04:38 PM »
            Hi Lisa_maree! Thank you for telling me that I would need to load that first. I did find XP drivers in Lenovo's site but it took some doing ... they have a rather well hidden category for obsolete operating systems but when searching for them, I entered 3000 J Series but I had to choose the "subseries" of that machine and that threw me. I googled it but couldn't find it anywhere in the places indicated but I was in a bit of a hurry so I'll have to search more carefully. I'll do my best to get this internet working but if I can't, at least my old software and equipment are running like new which is the important thing; I can go online with my other machines so while it may be a nuisance to download from one and upload to the other, it's only a minor annoyance. I'll do it that way until I come up with a solution and if I don't, then so be it. I really only need this machine for graphics: I use photoshop and Corel Draw/Paint  for either photo editing or to do initial drafts/outlines for artwork which I'll then paint or draw. That's all I'll be using this machine for but it's the XP that's the critical factor here if I'm to run my software and equipment and it's all working perfectly. The rest is icing on the cake. (I must admit, there was something intriguing about that old custom built [now seriously charred] HP - it originally had three optical drives and four hard drives and 10 usb ports - I have no idea why someone would do that but I guess they had their reasons.) Thanks again for your help.
            « Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:15:51 PM by oppie2 »