Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wifi connection unstable  (Read 9119 times)

megan_needs_help

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Wifi connection unstable
    « on: September 02, 2020, 09:01:28 AM »
    My laptop is giving me issues with wifi connection.

It's a Samsung laptop running Windows 10. I just switched internet providers from Xfinity to CenturyLink. I had no issues with wifi connection until we switched internet providers but all other devices in the home connect fine, CenturyLink customer support said that everything on their end was showing fine, and I logged into the modem admin and it isn't showing any obvious connection issues. We do have 5 people in the house, each using multiple devices, and we have 940 mbps.

What is happening is the laptop connects and sometimes says "No internet, secured" and sometimes says "Connected,secured", then it continously disconnects and reconnects over and over, never having actual internet connection. I have a fairly baseline understanding of computers and did the regular first steps: turning wifi on/off, computer on/off, resetting the modem, updated drives. And then I googled the issue and tried updating the power management settings, unistalled/reinstalled the network adapter, made sure the Wifi AutoConfig service startup type was automatic, tried using Google's DNS server, reset the TCP/IP configuration, and did a network reset and nothing has worked. However, the laptop will stay connected to my phone hotspot and other home wifi's just fine. So I'm unclear if it's an internet provider issue or a computer issue.

Please help! I'm running out of steam here and I just want my laptop to connect to the dang interwebs.

Pratchett

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Wifi connection unstable
      « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 04:02:07 AM »
      Couple of questions to think about..

Will the computer get online if you connect via a cable and not wi-fi this will help determine if the ISP is blocking something.

Could your router be blocking your laptop by MAC address, make sure there are no filters in the router

Do you have a dual banddual router, i.e it's transmitting two networks, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz have you tried both?

Have you tried changing the channel that the router transmits on?

Have you tried changing the SSID name that the router is using? There might be some historic configuration in the laptop where is has been told not use that network.