Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 expired free upgrade offer still works  (Read 3455 times)

Matt Boyz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows 10 expired free upgrade offer still works
    « on: September 08, 2020, 03:07:15 AM »
    I converted my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 in 2020, when Microsoft was offering the upgrade for free. But I didn’t like Windows 10, so I chose to undo the upgrade. Now that Windows 7 no longer gets security updates, I want to install Windows 10 again. An IT guy told me I might still be able to get it for free, even though the free upgrade offer has expired. Can I?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10 expired free upgrade offer still works
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 02:11:43 AM »
    Yes you can. Once a computer has had a digital licence for Windows 10 you can keep reloading to the same hardware as many times as you like.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows 10 expired free upgrade offer still works
    « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 07:14:29 AM »
    Regardless of whether a computer has previously had Win 10 installed on it or not, a Win 7 or Win 8.x machine can still be upgraded to Win 10 for free using the Windows Media Creation Tool that can be downloaded here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20.  It's also possible to do a clean install of Windows 10 as long as you have a valid Win 7 or Win 8.x license key to enter when the installer asks for a license key.