Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Long-standing issue with "Star Wars: Dark Forces"  (Read 92822 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Long-standing issue with "Star Wars: Dark Forces"
    « on: October 13, 2020, 09:25:31 PM »
    I have a long-standing issue with "Star Wars: Dark Forces".  I have no problems getting the game to run, but there is one issue I'm always having.  The game never plays the boss music when a boss is being faced.  Is there any way to edit the midi files to trigger that?  Not that I will attempt it.  Knowing how the iMUSE music engine works, I'm not sure I can accomplish it.  When facing the first Phase 1 Dark Trooper, the music track BOSS-05 should play, but it does not.  There's got to be a way to trigger it.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Long-standing issue with "Star Wars: Dark Forces"
      « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
      I have a long-standing issue with "Star Wars: Dark Forces".  I have no problems getting the game to run, but there is one issue I'm always having.  The game never plays the boss music when a boss is being faced.  Is there any way to edit the midi files to trigger that?  Not that I will attempt it.  Knowing how the iMUSE music engine works, I'm not sure I can accomplish it.  When facing the first Phase 1 Dark Trooper, the music track BOSS-05 should play, but it does not.  There's got to be a way to trigger it.

Maybe I should try a midi editor or two to convert the midi files and insert the proper sysex messages into a file to see if I can trigger the boss music.  A prime candidate is Mission 10's music.  It starts out with a battle with multiple Kell Dragons during which you can only use the fists.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »
        After having contacted somebody working on a mod for Dark Forces that allows things like mouselook, I've found out the cause of the boss music not working is the main executable.  This topic is done with.  Even he cannot fix it.  Maybe the guy behind The Force Engine can get it working.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 03:11:43 PM »
        There is work being done to recreate the underlying JEDI Engine, called "The Force Engine". It's incomplete right now, and probably isn't a drop-in-replacement for the original, as it probably won't have a DOS Build, but it might be something to watch, as they would be in the position to fix issues like that.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.