Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Choices: This POS computer  (Read 5312 times)

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
    Choices: This POS computer
    « on: October 28, 2020, 02:51:09 AM »
    I've not been on Computer Hope in a far too long period of time and if I thought giving my reasons why would help in some way I would try to explain.
    That said, I don't think that it will serve any purpose except to satisfy some peoples curiosity. Instead I'd like to say that the development and evolution of the look of the Computer Hope website is GREAT!

i'm starting out here in this forum because I honestly do not know why this POS computer present me with problems daily that lead to forcing it closed just to stop that annoying spinning circle to stop spinning. I also think that forcing it to stop and to restart doesn't do me any good except to stop the spinning and at times allow me to do something....anything other than watch that spinning circle. It might help to say how long I have allowed that circle to spin: 12 hr's may not be the longest time but I do know that on several occasions I forgot that this computer was still "ON" but when I moved the mouse and the screen came alive there it was still spinning.

Before I continue I want to ask if my memory serves me correctly Computer Hope may have an app or a way to collect all of the info about this computer so you can see what you are dealing with but I don't recall how to do that. I can attempt to turn the HP laptop upside down and get out my trusty magnifying glass with built in light to help me see the information that I know you must see to at least consider if I should be posting in the OS forum or hardware forum or software forum since I have no clue why it's behaving as it is.

So I'll leave it there until someone either links me to that app or has specific questions that I would gladly answer.

It's GREAT being back!
    The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Choices: This POS computer
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 05:45:32 AM »
    One app that does that is called Speccy...You can save a report and then Post it here...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Base10

Beginner
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 12:03:07 PM »
      Hey,

As Patio said lol.  You can download it from here https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

:)

Base10

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »

Once you install it, run the app.  Let it load then click on File then "Save as text file".  This will save a txt file of the summary screen, you can then just copy and past on here.  Or you can just screenshot and post the pic :)

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
        Better to use the file menu, publish snapshot, you will then get a link you can copy here for others to check.

The reason this is better is there is a lot of info in a speccy report some, if you use the copy and paste method can personally identify you, the publish snapshot has that information removed.
        Also the sometimes 30 odd pages fills the chat and not everyone wants to trawl thru speccy reports.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 04:27:20 AM »
          Thanks for the replies. Before I get an app that collects so much information that as Lisa Maree said:

"The reason this is better is there is a lot of info in a speccy report some, if you use the copy and paste method can personally identify you, "

I recall that over time there was at least two methods of collecting necessary info so those members who may want to help with a problem/dilemma that I or another member may have; can use that info about the computer with the problem to eliminate some possible causes and perhaps make suggestions that might improve performance for instance. That said, can I ask is there a way to reduce what must be known to a few items such as Make Model ( which should if I'm correct inform others of what it had right from the factory So for instance:

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51-504A 15.6" IPS Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7300HQ (2.50 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop

This is the info on the Laptop I am using now purchased in 2017

It's not the Laptop I'm having problems with and I'm not using that one because I never know when it's going to balk and start that spinning wheel But I can get the info off of the internet I don't think I can make that many moves on it to get " speccy " If other info is needed such as type of virus protection or other software info that might be needed I can provide that. The program I remember may have been provided by a different computer help site and it was somehow built in to the site with a message like " click this link and post results "

I think that the back story of how I got the computer in question may provide valuable information that is as important as the hardware and software info. For now I'll say that it was a store demo and it was not properly wiped before selling it to me so it came with two other users including Darren DeYoung and ADMINISTRATOR. Darren DeYoung is a common default Demo user and after creating my own user name I deleted Darren but left ADMINISTRATOR I was informed that both user should have been deleted but the store uses and outside contractor to rest their demo's before reselling. Evidently the one I purchased was set up but never used on the floor so it was thought to be open box but never used. Now with Covid19 it's like everyone at the store went brain dead. I did purchase an extended warranty but trying to explain that to Asurion is impossible. They suggest going back to the store but no one at that retailer still works there. I used to have the password for both Darren and Admin but I wrote it down but not in a document on said PC. So Admin is always there I just can't sign on with that ID anymore and I get zero help from MS.

So I turned to HOPE. Pun intended

The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 04:32:44 AM »
            PS:

For what it's worth: I suddenly and mysteriously developed intermittent vision problems. I wrote my last entry and copied it before posting it which was fortunate since my session timed out and I needed to log back in to post it. I did struggle finding my original post mostly because my vision is not very good today. I looked in " My Messages " and discovered that messages are not posts. Is there not a " MY POSTS " button?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 06:25:49 AM »
            Just clik your user name...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
            • My first real computer
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 11:58:59 PM »
            You are missing the point. The publish report and copying the link makes sure that there is NO personnel info published. People have selectively copied parts of the report here which leaves out some very important part.
            Like just as an example , the hard drive section gives the maximum temperature of the hard drive a good indication of whether the laptop is over heating.
            So just publish the report please. You can download a portable version which you can run from a flash drive. then copy the report link to the pen drive for your next post.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
            ― John Bunyan

Rich73Kelly

Rookie
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 05:04:23 PM »
              Hello, all ... I am no Tech master or computer guru and don't at all claim to be one. But, ... Has anyone considered the simplicity of the OP's problem? ...  Is the spinning circle he is referring to not the blue "Wait a moment" or "thinking" circle/icon ?? I ask this because .... Does said computer have sufficient RAM ?? Maybe, being a Laptop, the RAM got jarred loose? Is there even RAM in it ?? How many programs are sitting open in the Task bar?
               Just seems to be an issue that could ultimately point in this direction.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 07:35:05 AM »
                You are missing the point. The publish report and copying the link makes sure that there is NO personnel info published. People have selectively copied parts of the report here which leaves out some very important part.
                Like just as an example , the hard drive section gives the maximum temperature of the hard drive a good indication of whether the laptop is over heating.
                So just publish the report please. You can download a portable version which you can run from a flash drive. then copy the report link to the pen drive for your next post.

Thanks LM Today I can bearly read anything in this forum. Si the reason I mentioned my vision problem is because depending on the day it's near impossible to naviagte anything on a PC because the problem with my vision has me typing my password ( for instance ) in correctly as the double vision aspect of the vision problem has me typing the letters below the ones I want to typeso for instance If I want to type THE it often comes out as gnd or the letters below the ones I KNOW but can see. So knowing that helper like to know about the PC with the problem I thought if there was a simple way of gathering that information I could do that.AND said PC is so screwed up that if I do too much on it it basically locks up in that scenario that I was trying to explain about the spining circele and I wind up holding down the start button in order to reboot. Each time I do that it takes longer and longer to boot plus it doesn't like me doing too much when it protests. So if it wasn't clear last time I am using the ACER NITRO to communicate here. If I put a clock on turning the HP on and perfprming the directions that you are explaining my fear is that she will lock up before I get to the moves you are suggesting. If that is missing the point then I can own that. I need others to understand what going blind is like and whenver I contact anyone for support and mention that I'm going blind they will say : " I'm so sorry to hear that, so open your PC and go to www.followmyinstructions dot come hash tag forward slash go to the drop own arrow in such and such a palce and select xyz then....and \\" I reply: what part of " going blind " makes you thing that I can see any of the things you are asking me to do? Truth be know it happens with EVERY TECH call I make whether it is to my cable supplier, cell phone carrier, bank, credit card etc it doesn't matter. What they know to tell me fly's in the face of going blind.

Not for pity but just so you all know. One Sunday I needed to use an eye patch on one ey in order to watch football and that was blurry so much of what was written I could not read. I had to stuff the eye patch with tissues as it was running as if a pipe broke. The next day after I awoke I knew as soon as I got to the bathroom that my vision was better. It was so good that I could read a paper back novel with no glasses. The eye doctors can figure it out although they see cataracts before my vision got as bad as it is I was told by numerous eye doctors that my vision was amazzingly excellent for a man of my age and although they see catacts they are so small that the risk is not worth the reward so they don't even suggest making glasses for me and suggest getting drug store readers which I've done for years AND the ones that I prefer are 1 or 1.25 or 1.50. actually I buy all of them since one day is different than the next.

The most amazzing thing about this situation is I got to understand something that in a way I've been told about but never understood until resnetly when the latest doctor wrote an RX for what would be the RX for readers if I did get the surgery and I found out that an RX is so specific that I have a span of 6 to 9 inches that I need to be from whatever I am trying to see. Like now I have the new glasses on. The laptop screen is about9 inches from my face. It's NOT the same as drug store readers which allow me to see a span of 6 inches to the TV meaning if I look up will writing or reading I can still see the TV with a 1 power or maybe with a 1.25 the 1.50 make the TV blurry. Not only do the doctors not know what I am trying to explain it is not writen anywhere. It seems that they think that cateract surgey allows a person to see distance clearly but in order to read the RX glasses have other limits and limiatations.

I'm working on a paper that I want to submit to the New England Journal of medicine because although I do not know the reason why this happens to me I have learned a few things once again not found anywhere about a condition that I may have that has yet been named.

So, I know, a lot of words many mispelled to try and explain why following instructions are difficuklt for me.

Just to put a ribbon on this: I contacted an eye doctor called a Neuro-Opthamologist who first said: "tell me everything" which he later told me that all other ophthalmologists who do cataract surgery assume that if one is of a certain age and they do have some degree of cataracts that cataracts are the problem. He then said this We now know that you have at least two problems and one is obvious: cataracts. But what else is causing this most unusual problem? I suggest that we figure out what the one that is not obvious first because if there are days that you can see clearly then the cataracts are not that bad otherwise there would never be days that you can read a paperback book with no glasses at all. Cataracts do not flair up.

I may need to have someone drive me to his office which is about a 6 hour drive because most of the doctors I've seen suggest cataract surgery first and I know that no only are they not the biggest problem but to go under the knife is always risky.

If there's a metaphor her somewhere I think it probably applies really well.

I thought that someone might have asked me a few basic questions such as: " have you tried running the PC in safe mode with network connections enabled." The answer just in case someone wants to know that is no I have not. I don't remember how to get into safe mode and seeing the little F#'s on the top row will need a large magnifying glass which is on the way from Amazon; maybe today.

Sorry for dragging this out. Sincerely!