Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCMCIA Ethernet card  (Read 2371 times)

yramusa

PCMCIA Ethernet card
« on: January 30, 2006, 07:05:18 PM »
Hello,

I recently connected a PCMCIA 10/100 ethernet card to my daughter's IBM laptop. It runs on XP Pro, so there is no need to download drivers and such, since XP will auto install the driver, per the instructions on the installation pamphlet.  It just said to look in the device manager for the network adapter.  If it's there, the driver has been installed correctly. I looked and it is there.

I turned the laptop, and my PC off, switched the ethernet cable to the laptop to test it, and booted the laptop.  When I select the Internet Explorer, I just see "about: blank" in the browser.  I also see that I'm working offline. When I switch the cable back, it works fine on my PC.

I've installed 10/100 cards in 2 pc. w/o issues.  I run the cable through a modem and to a cable router to connect my computers.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mary

GX1_Man

Re: PCMCIA Ethernet card
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:32:19 PM »
With those cards the usual order is install software without card in machine, reboot and install card  to finish installation. Some bizarre cards do better with whatever XP puts in there, rather than their own drivers. Go figure. You might try it the first way.

Is WEP enabled? If so, turn that off until you get this issue straightened out.

You may need to run Internet Connection Wizard as well.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: PCMCIA Ethernet card
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 09:47:14 PM »
    The IE homepage is probably set to about:blank.
    Untick 'work offline' and try a bookmark or type google in the address bar & hit enter.