Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Offline Free to play game suggestions - Windows 10 Laptop  (Read 89954 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Offline Free to play game suggestions - Windows 10 Laptop
« on: December 05, 2020, 02:27:15 PM »
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of ( "Legal" non-pirated ) free to play games that work offline and don't require internet connection to play. I am kind of bored with the games that I have that work offline and looking for something new to play. I figured I'd place this here to see if anyone has any suggestions as while a google search does show results of games, there may be some that are really good that dont show up in a search listing.

I play all sorts of games from Puzzle Games, RPG, FPS, Dungeon Crawlers, Turn Based, Simulation, Arcade, and so on.

The computer that will be playing the games is a Core i5 4xxx series CPU Laptop with 8GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics running Windows 10.

Coco767

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: Offline Free to play game suggestions - Windows 10 Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:56:03 AM »
    Hm. Team Fortress 2 is not really meant to be an offline game, but it does have a mode you can play with bots if you wish. So does CS-GO.

If you havent tried some visual novels such as DDLC, The Witch In The Forest, Dorakone, for a few examples. Theres different themed ones alternative to this. Suggest you try that genre out.

Also, havent been on the forums in at least a long while, so hello!
    « Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:10:41 AM by Coco767 »

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 02:46:41 PM »
    Welcome back to Computer Hope .... and the Team Fortress suggestion actually reminded me that I could actually set my Steam Account to playing some games offline as I have Team Fortress on Steam. Also going to check into the DDLC visual novel suggestion.

Coco767

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 07:03:55 PM »
      Do be careful, I forgot to list this in the original post. DDLC itself is a horror one, it does not seem like it at first but it is. While the other two examples are complete opposites.

Visual novels generally,  sometimes finding one you like can take a bit.

nebula900

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 10:13:48 PM »
        offline and free to play don't really go hand in hand. (unless we are taking about minesweeper  ;D). the devs need internet connectivity to monetize free to play games.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 08:29:09 PM »
        Well while most need to monetize it some how to pay for the development etc some games were created free that had donation based monetization etc. A game I played in past that I liked however I didn't like the AI controlled Aliens because it didn't act like it was controlled by a living thing, the code for detecting people saw 360 degree radius from the alien and so if you decided to hide to side of a door way where you aren't in view the alien would walk through the door way and instantly turn and shoot you. Meanwhile if it was other gamers playing as the aliens they wouldn't be seeing what's behind them in a corner while also looking forward. So the fact that the AI would shoot you the minute you were detected within a radius of it I found frustrating. If playing the game constantly moving vs waiting to snipe/assassinate an alien I suppose its not that bad as long as when you turn a corner your aware of the alien(s) in that room to shoot up and dodge bullets but my preference in FPS games like this is to find strategic locations to take down opponents when they enter an area vs having to worry about being the quick draw shooter as your running and trying to make sense of the area that your playing in as to if any aliens exist within it and shoot and kill them before they shoot you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Arena_(video_game)

Organ

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 02:41:17 AM »
          When it comes to offline games the first thing that comes to my mind is single-player games.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
          Well most games these days are paired with an Online host that handles licensing mainly as well as the model of their money making isnt a one time fee and play as much as you like offline as games of past use to be. The model these days is far more common to requiring an internet connection and pay for the game or continue to pay for the game turning it into a coin-op pay to play as well as pay to win where the players that pay more are given additional benefits that others dont get unless they also pay into it.

But my basic need for offline games isnt to save money as much as to be able to play games when away from an internet connection, and so if the game cost $60 and its an awesome game and able to be played offline, I might buy it to have the ability to playing it when away from internet connectivity. STEAM for example has the ability to sign out some games for offline play to which you check out a game title that you own to working for a set period of time to which during that time it works for single-player functionality, but eventually you have to connect to an internet connection to reset the timer to getting more offline play time. But while I have many games on steam and many of them are able to be played in an offline mode, just always looking for others to play and be introduced to.

Additionally there are projects out there where games are free to play and donation based or games that wee going to be made into something bigger that the plug was pulled on and the games released to the public vs tombstoned and never released and so I have played some games that are incomplete from what they would have been but playable as well as Alpha and Beta releases that plugs pulled on the projects and they are just what they are and nothing more as well as others that became community supported games where the original game company released the game and gave up supporting it but placed the support into the hands of the community open source like in adding features or maps/content and bug fixes.